Did you watch the Nightline last night? What did you think about the story on Atheism?

I felt this story was very misleading... I have never in my life met an Atheist that tried to conduct "church" meetings or convert others... I'll post the link below, if you go to the right of the page you can actually watch the video rather than having to read the article... But seriously, there is something wrong with this guy, & he's willingly making Atheists look nuts IMO!

What do you all think... Is this really how people see Atheists? Is this really how Atheists want to be seen??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's the article... Go to the right of the page where it says "Watch: War on Religion" to see the video.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/atheists-conduct-de-baptisms/story?id=11109379

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Well what do you know!  Atheism has it's fanatics too.  I guess it just goes to prove that mental defects are not exclusive to any particular belief. 

In plain english - the guy is an asshole.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I don't havew cable so I missed it. I'll get back to you after I watch the link as I am in the middle of cooking lunch as well.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I couldn't watch the entire video; it completely misrepresents what I stand for as an Atheist. It's a shame that they chose to use this guy and his group to represent atheists as a whole. As anyone who truly knows Atheism, knows the beliefs vary from person to person.
    THis is a travesty to me.....this guy is as bad as other evangalists I"ve seen.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• LEt me also add that my beliefs in no way include the idea of "waging war" on anyone and their beliefs. That goes against the very core of my belierfs which above all else, peace and tolerance are the answer.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Okay I read the article. Only one aspect of atheism is being portrayed and that is of the Militant or "anti-theist" atheists. Kind of like using Westboro Baptists to represent all Christians. Now I find the "De-baptism" with a blow dryer to be quite witty and humorous. What I disagree with is the connotation that raising a child with religion is akin to child abuse.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Ewww...I hate that they would air that. It will make people think all atheist/agnostics conduct themselves that way. I would never attend something like that, being that I am agnostic and I stand firm in what I believe I would never sit around and mock other peoples beliefs no matter how absurd they are. Like PP said there are fanatics in all things and those people have to be the fanatics of atheism. And that de-baptism with the hair dryer is the stupidest thing I have ever saw. It is like those people are trying to make a religion out of the lack of religion which I think totally defies the point all together.
    To all the believes out there: Please know that most atheist/agnostic people do not act this way, or have crazy ceremonies...
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sorry but I agree with most of what he said. As a 'militant' Atheist myself, I DO see religion as child abuse and think it has nothing but a negative on society as a whole. I don't however think the ceremonies he does are cute- they are unnecessary and borderline moronic.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 4:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It is terrible when the media reports on a smaller group of people out of a whole religious faith base and makes it out to be a blanket statement for the whole group. I guess atheism has become mainstream and is subject to the same poor reporting. 

Anonymous

• " I guess atheism has become mainstream "

Well that apsect of it makes me happy to see! NOw we just need to weed out the people like this guy, and get people who better represent atheists as a whole.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010