a question for those that had a colonosgerphy (however it is spelled)

I have to have one done and I am scared. So be honest with me does it hurt to have one done? I have been having trouble going to the bathroom since my 2.5 year old was born and sometimes I go numb from the waist down when I go. Will it show why I get numb? What all does it show? Will it hurt? What do I need to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in About CafeMom

• They are not at all painful. I have had about 6 of them because I have crohn's.  The worst part is clearing yourself.  The procedure itself is a piece of cake.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• it will show if you have aproblem. They will have you drink this gosh-aweful crap so that your system is clean. The directions say stay close to the toilet. DO THAT when it hits it hits. they put you in a twilight sleep( no sparkly vampires), you won't feel a thing and it will be worth it to hopefully find out that you have nothing wrong or when you find out there is something wrong and they can fix it. good luck Mama
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It absolutely does NOT hurt. The worst part is the day/night before where you have to get cleaned out. My doc told me to skip the instructions where it tells you what you can have, eat whatever you want for lunch (day before) then order two large wanton soups from a chinese place without the wantons and drink/eat that plus water and gatorade (I don't like any gatorade). You take medicine that makes you go, and you have no choice about that, lol.... You are sound asleep for the procedure and you don't feel anything. you feel a little dopey when you wake up and tired for that day. You go back to eating slowly, and then by the next day you feel normal again. It absolutely does not hurt. I don't know how it can tell you why you go numb, but hopefully it will. Good luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Colonoscopy? It will see if you have a pylops or blockage. And talk to your doctor about it. He would know better then anyone why they want to do the procedure on you & he will be able to tell you everything you need to know.
    You should expect a little discomfort but nothing like child labor. =)
    goodluck hope everything is turns out ok for you.
    jfblaine83

Answer by jfblaine83 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have had one and it did not hurt. You have to take a "cleanser" the night before. Ask you Dr. for a mild one. I took a mild one that was over the counter.......not a prescription. That was the worse part because you will go to the bathroom frequently. That did not hurt either, just a nuisance. The colonoscopy can be done with a light anesthetic, but I have friends who wanted to be totally out for it. Talk that over with your Dr. I had a light anesthetic and actually watched the proceedure on the screen. Really interesting!

It shows how clear your colon is and if there are any polys that need to be removed (often done right then). You are having some sort of problem so they are trying to rule out many things.

Just because it was not painful for me does not mean they all are, but I have had several friends who have had one too and we all have said it was no big deal. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I had one last month. The worst part is the day before when you clean out your system,they completely knocked me out because they went endoscopicaly too. Good luck
    ajmfmommy

Answer by ajmfmommy at 3:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2010