My 3 Year old son will not use potty? help?

nflowers4

Asked by nflowers4 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son was the same way, it was so frustrating! I had a potty seat that fit on the regular toilet, and a potty chair that made music. He could've cared less about either one.
    I praised him when he would just sit on the potty for a few minutes, even if he didn't do anything.... and I promised a BIG SURPRISE if he did do something. Finally, he peed on the potty! So I got him a slice of birthday cake at the grocery store, put a candle on it and sang Happy Pee Pee To You (to the tune of Happy Birthday). Then I made him a little poster, taped it on a stick and we had a little parade around the block. After that, everytime he used the potty, we had a "Pee Pee" party, and I just stuck a candle in whatever was available. I think once I actually stuck a candle in a pile of raisins. LOL.
    You get the picture... what 3 year old doesn't like a party? Hope this helps.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I've heard there's a "urinal" potty that's a hit with the boys, especially if they've seen their dads using it. I think it's sold at Costco. I don't have a son but when my daughter first started potty training she was in fear of the potty/toilet. Her dad helped to calm her fears by making it fun to sit down - he bought her a Dora seat (her favorite character) that fit on top of the toilet. Then he would sit her down when she didn't necessarily have to go and read books to her. I also bought her a calendar with stickers that we posted in the bathroom - every time she did something great - like sit for a while and eventually start to use the toilet - she got a really cool sticker. It was a great motivator for her.
    Ali916

Answer by Ali916 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• my daughter doesnt like funny potty's. she knows it's hers and she uses it when she wants to. however we moved to a new house and there was a seperate bathroom right next to her room. we made it all childrens with nice colors and HER oWN GROWN UP potty with a seat on it. i just use a regular toilet with a chaor for her to get on it. she never used a potty, she just sat on the bathroom, and then the sticker reward and certeificate and now she is all trained.
    Elly2009

Answer by Elly2009 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• When i was training my son i went and bought some really cute toddler skivies (underwear) and some cute skivies for my husband that somewhat matched my sons and they spent a weekend together in their skivies all weekend and went potty together. my son got a kick out of being like daddy. I also did the sticker reward system but added a twist; when daddy went potty he got a sticker and so did my son - it made it a competition. hope that helps or gives you your own idea
    yawde08

Answer by yawde08 at 2:28 AM on Oct. 2, 2008