Prenatal vitamins while not pregnant and not TTC?

My friend told me that prenatal vitamins might be good for me since i get sick so much. I'm not trying to conceive and I'm not pregnant. Now, I've heard before that prenatal vitamins are always good, but there has to be a reason that they're only for woman that are PRENATAL, right? They're called that for a reason, right! lol
Does anyone know if they would be bad to take every day opposed to a regular vitamin?

crystalbean2

Asked by crystalbean2 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• Your body only uses the vitamins it needs and discards the rest. I would think a one a day women's vitamin would work. Here you can only get prenatal vitamins with a prescription so a doctor would have to prescribe it for you. Unless you can get them there without one, I don't know. My doctor recommended that I take a calcium with vitamin D to boost my immune system and keep my bones strong. Thats why they say to take that in the cold/flu season. You might want to add that too. It might help. The upside of that one it makes your nails nice too!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Prenatal vitamins just have extra nutrients compared to a regular multivitamin. They will help your hair and nails grow nicely too.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• They have folic acid which is good for baby making. That's the only real difference between prenatal and regualr vitamins.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My moms doctor told her to take prenatal vitamins because it has extra vitamins
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• they are good for you, i am still taking mine and my baby is 4 months old but im nursing so thats the main reason why im taking them
    they can make you constipated and nauseous actually
    if i was you id stick to a regular vitamin maybe look in to some special ones like extra calcium etc to replace things you lack in your diet
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 4:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I would think a womens daily muilti vitamins would be fine. Pre natal won't hurt you they just have more floic acid in them and maybe 'extras' of some other vitamins.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• There is higher folic acid in them. I know my nails always grew more while I took them. I have 2 bottles here, I should start taking them again. I don't take anything.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I take them every day for my hair..it makes it pretty
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you have some around the house go ahead and take them but otherwise just get a regular multivitamin (they're usually cheaper anyways). It won't be bad for you it'll just give you extra folic acid that you won't need.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010