Anyone ever have a root canal, and it still hurt 3 days later?

It still is very hard to eat and it's 3 days later. Is this normal. It has a sharp pain when I bite down.

mommom2000

Asked by mommom2000 at 4:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• There's a lot of trauma done to the mouth during a root canal, causing a lot of inflammation and swelling. When you are biting down, you are probably aggravating it. The nerves are removed during a root canal. If you had an infection, then there's even more inflammation. I've had a root canal that left me in pain for several days as well. If it has not gone away in a few days, call your dentist.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Yes - still hurt 7 days later, actually!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think it was about 6 or 7 days before it felt ok again
    That was a few years ago and I can't recall exactly
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• not yet..i think i'm gonna have to have one though...=(
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The reason I asked is because evryone I know said it shouldn't hurt. I thought I might have a problem.
    mommom2000

Comment by mommom2000 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I've had 9 of them (I have horrible teeth, and have had extensive dental work done). I've had teeth that were achy for a few days afterward, but nothing that really caused PAIN. Call the dentist/endodontist that did the procedure and let them know it still hurts!
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'd call the endodontist, I don't think that's normal. When I had mine I didn't require any sort of pain killers at all and I was eating without difficulty within an hour.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Never had a root canal. But last time I was at dentist he insisted a filling needed replaced. So he did it and it caused me pain for weeks!!!! Glad I waited it out and did not get a root canal cause it is fine now. Needless to say, I will not be going back to that guy....I have been told he does this frequently to patients. And that ass is the one that put it there about 5 years ago. I have 2 other fillings, and they are from when I was like 12 and they have never been replaced.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010