Will anything happen to the older children's legs while they rear face if there's an accident?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are no reported cases of a childs legs getting broken from being RF.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• and even if there was i'd rather have a higher risk of broken legs over a higher risk of death.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm with the pp, I'd take a broken bone over death any day. I think as long as they're sitting with their legs crossed, they'll be okay
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Only time will tell. The older kids that I have seen photos of in REF (4 years +) look unsafe and uncomfortable in a knee-to-chest position. I do hope people are using their car seats according to manufacturer's guidelines and their intended use.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i am with sisteract
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 5:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Most likely, no. Keep in mind that the seats used to rear face older children are much bigger then infant seats, and have deeper seats, meaning more leg room. As stated, there have been no documented cases of leg injuries in RF children, so I feel it is safe. Also, this depends on whether or not the seat is being used properly. A car seat, facing any direction, doesn't do much good if it's improperly installed or used. That's why it's important to see a CPST.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010