I am torn between going back to work or staying home.

My hubby has come off of Active Duty orders. A job I am qualified for is in the paper today. He thinks I should apply. He is capable of staying home with them. But the thing is, he is a pilot in the National Guard so he still has to go to work at speratic times. I love staying at home, but at the same time miss work. He is on partial unemployment and is constantly stressed about how to provide for his family. He too is looking for work, but nothing has happened yet. I don't know if I could go back to work. How stressful would it be? I don't get a good nights sleep as it is. I hate to be away all day, but know millions of mothers do it. It's not an easy decision to make. What would be some considerations or advice from anyone?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 4:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• It could end up causing you more stress if he gets called to work and you don't have someone with whom you can leave your children. Have you thought about doing something from home to earn some extra money?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You said it yourself: constantly stressed about how to provide for the family. I'd be going back.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• for me, it would be financial..if he hasn't found work, and you can/have, its only logical that you get a job, if its available. at least you have your children's father available to watch the kid(s) most of the time..you wouldn't be out for fulltime childcare. its a no-brainer for me. :)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• go for it. try and find a sitter that will always be availible last minute good luck!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You can check out possibly working from home or babysitting other kids
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• "You said it yourself: constantly stressed about how to provide for the family. I'd be going back."

I agree with this. I don't deal with that worry well. When my first was born I went back to work because of money. When My second was 9 months old I went back to work again because money was tight. I hated it but at the same time it provided security for the family. When I my third was born I started watching a little girl at our house to bring in some extra income. I also have a few families that have me on call. Perhaps you can find a sitter like that for when you husband does get called into work at random times. Good luck to you, I know first hand that this is a hard and heartbreaking decision at times.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010