does it hurt to have a deep scale cleaning?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• i had one after not going to the dentist for over 10 years. i must admit it was a little painful : )
    it was my own fault though. don't let the pain keep you away!!! you will be so happy when it has been done!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Not at all, as long as you have a good hygenist doing it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• YES it really does. This is why you should always FLOSS.I learned my lesson. FLOSS!
    I guess some people ask for gas when it is done. I had novacaine and when the novacaine wore off it was sore. I went to a dentist 15 years ago who did the cleaning without novacaine. I think he was a sadist. It was awful.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Like I said it should not hurt, if it hurts you will probably never go back and obviously you went to the wrong dentist! Find another one.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm not sure what you mean. A cleaning that is deep in scale? A removal of scale buildup like the coffee pot? Or are you a fish with barnacles stuck between your scales?
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• idk did i spell something wrong..thats just how i hear it so thats how i spelled it out..i'm not a dentist.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Oh a deep scale DENTAL cleaning. Now it makes sense!
    I was more annoyed at being stuck in the chair for an hour than the pik, but everyone is different!
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have this done a lot since I have had problems with my gums since I was 15, and it doesn't really hurt.

Answer by older at 4:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on how sensitive you are, how much calculus there is to remove and how deep they have to go. Some dentists will numb you for the procedure.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010