so scared of sids

I had my first daughter last month and its like if shes sleeping in her bassinet i wake up like every 10 minutes to check on her so now shes sleeping right beside me i make my husband turn the other way so pillows arent by her face i dont sleep with pillows or a blanket just have a little blanket for her. I feel like this is making me go crazy! im always making sure shes breathing and i wont let anyone put her to sleep because im scared they r gonna lay her on her stomach. anyone else been like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ohh, I went through this with each one! discuss it with her ped. He/she will help you feel better.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• yeah. welcome to motherhood. every new mom i'v ever known has been exactly like that, including myself.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I was too.... I woke up all night checking on my son to make sure he was sleeping.... I think we all go through it, just make sure she is on her back.... You might have Post partum anxiety.... I had it super bad and had to take antidepressents for a couple months.... try talking to your dr... GL and try to relax! And congrats on your lil miracle!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I had a friend who checked on her son so often that he never was a good sleeper. She would put her hand on him to make sure he was breathing. Please relax. It will benefit you and your baby. Learn all you can about SIDS prevenion and do all the things you should. Then relax and enjoy that precious child. If someone else cares for her make it clear she is to be put on her back when sleeping. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I know what you mean. I'm like that with my babies too. THe first few months is the worst. I don't think I even fell into a deep sleep once these past 17 months...and I have another coming along..so theres another two years of half sleep! LOL
    You just can't be too carefull...and I can't help but worry so much. Nap time..if it seems my daughter is sleeping too long, I still go in to check on her.
    You know though...after my mom bought me the video monitor for her room, I actually felt better. I could see her move and watch her sleep. I would still get worried though. It's normal.
    ANd I did the same thing, I brought her in the bed with us when she was newborn up until she was like 6 months old...kept her only next to me away from her daddy so he wouldn't "smother" her. Blankets, pillows were far far away,lol. Its crazy..but I felt like it was the only way I could get SOME sleep, otherwise I was forever going in her room!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• read up on it and do the guidelines. i was so scared of it too, but it will get eaiser. promise
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 4:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• yep, don't think you are doing anything wrong by wanting to protect your baby =) sounds like you are doing good.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• you are doing GREAT by co-sleeping, Baby will follow your breathing patterns and you will know the second some is wrong. I assume you are nursing? That will make things a lot easier on you!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Definitely something I think we all go through as new moms! Invest in a cosleeper if you feel like being next to your LO... it's safer (although I admit that both of mine slept in our bed, next to me, pillows, blankets, and all, and they both turned out fine!). Cosleeping is great, but be careful... if it's not for you, you have to put a stop to it sooner or it will just get harder (as I am finding out with our second!). Don't worry too much or you'll never sleep LOL!
    trebelcleff

Answer by trebelcleff at 5:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I went through that. I took comfort in knowing that I was doing everything I could to protect my daughter. I breastfed, didn't put harsh chemicals on her skin or in her body, and slept in close proximity with a fan on. It's something that you'll always worry about, you just have to not let it control you.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2010