By law can a parent put their child on birth control without them knowing it?

My 14 year old sister needs to be put on birth control. She is starting to act out where it seems that she is going to become buckwild or possibly already is. It is feared that she may be pregnant by the time she hits 16. I know that sounds horrible. Anyways, my mother said she doesn't want to put her on BC because she feels that will be like giving her the okay to do it (and my sister would take it that way.) she said she can put her on bc without actually telling her what it is? Is this true? i thought the doctor/nurse administering the depo-shot would have to tell the patient themself the symptoms of birth control, risks, etc. So by law can a parent put a minor on BC and not allow the medical staff to discuss what they are doing to the minor themselves and just to the parent??

MamaHardy2008

Asked by MamaHardy2008 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I hope not.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i would have to say no, but i am not sure. call a random doc and ask....
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 4:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i dont know. i dont think birth control is what she needs. maybe a lot less freedom.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I dont think so, sadly I think your mom needs to have a sit down heart to heart, maybe you do or find an older friend that she listens too (since teens wont listen to their parents!) and explain it all to her!
    tbache

Answer by tbache at 4:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't think so. Sounds sketchy. Maybe they need to just sit and talk and set up boundaries and open up communication. If mom doesn't want to maybe you can...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• she has tried to talk to her- and i can honestly see where this is becoming impossible. She doesn't have a whole lot of freedom but she does go to her friends houses often. I spotted a hickey on her neck and pointed it out to our mother and so forth. Its more of my mom going out than my sister- but my brother is home. but apparently she is finding a way some how- i guess when she goes places with her friends. Maybe she is lying about where she is going? she was at the pool the other day and it got back to me that she was cussing like a sailor and talking about making out with boys and what not. She is acting HORRIBLE. she has gotten to be such a witch that i can't stand to be around her.
    MamaHardy2008

Comment by MamaHardy2008 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Unfortunately, these days kids are doing more at younger ages. Maybe your mom should have her watch Pregnant at 16 on MTV. I would think it is safer to put her on BC and her knowing it than no BC and her going out and having sex anyway.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 5:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The LAST thing one should do is put an already unstable 14 year old girl on the depo shot. That thing sucks and I have NEVER met anyone who didn't hate it. It makes you nuts.

I don't have an answer to the rest, but the depo shot is insane.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 6:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The Depo shot can cause serious health problems, particularly in the young.

Apparently she needs more ADULT supervision; friends (female) come to the house and she doesn't go out without an adult; and a family therapist
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my mother cant afford a therapist or a counselor. I was on the depo shot when i was 16 and didnt have any issues with it? i liked it- i got a period only once every 3 months?
    MamaHardy2008

Comment by MamaHardy2008 (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2010