how do you start weaning a toddler

my son is 16 months old, and he loves to nurse, we've cut back to only 3-4 times a day, but hes getting to the age where i am ready to stop. how do i do this without him getting angry. also he doesn not take bottles, and he doesnt lke cows milk all that much

HelenGartner

Asked by HelenGartner at 1:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my son off the bottle at 12 months old
    TracesMom82

Answer by TracesMom82 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I am working on weaning my son right now(@ 14 months), although from a bottle. My advice is to always have a sippy on hand, and just keep handing it to him when he fusses to nurse and tell him to drink from his big boy cup. Also, as my son still gets a bottle to go to sleep at nite I just tell him he cant have a bottle unless hes ready to go nite -nite. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    juicebox503

Answer by juicebox503 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i have 4 kids. what worked best for me was along the lines of don't ask, don't tell. i don't offer it, but i don't refuse it. i also don't allow myself to get into a position where it is expected.
    i like nursing them to sleep, so that was the last to go.
    but during the day, keep him busy and hydrated, avoid situations where he would typically look to nurse. give lots of hugs and lots of snuggling and some explaining as you go.
    dmjuicy

Answer by dmjuicy at 2:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I am weaning my 18mo old right now. If I would let her, she would "na-na" (her word for it) all day. I try to keep her busy, give her sippy cups (she never had a bottle) and other foods that she likes. She is also very busy keeping up with her 2 &4-year-old brothers, so if I can get them to include her in their play, she doesn't ask to nurse.

Did you try the avent sippy cups? they have been working for my daughter
    3Elizabeth

Answer by 3Elizabeth at 4:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My son self weaned at 11 months. I was the sad one! I guess the one thing that comes to mind is DISTRACTION! Keep him busy. dmjuicy said it all.
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 7:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i could only breast feed for a month becuase my milk supply couldn't keep up..i praise you ladies for going that long, but you guys have guts!! breast feeding while they have teeth?!??? i personally would have weaned as soon as tooth #1 came in. im sorry i can't answer your question, but good luck!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 12:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• he did bite me once or twice when his first teeth came in at 4 months, but he learned real quick that he doesnt get to nurse when he does that! lol
    HelenGartner

Answer by HelenGartner at 3:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008