Are you prepared for things to get worse?

They now say were are in a double recession. And that we won't even begin to see recovery until 2014.

I believe we're on our way to another great depression and the makings of a new revolution. But i'm still no where prepared for things to get worse.

Are you prepared? In what ways? Have you pulled a large sum of money out of the bank and kept it in the home yet? Have you purchased lots of non perishable food items and bottled water?

Are you prepared?
Or do you think things are getting better?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:18 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We too feel prepared, and have several investment properties that we can liquidate for quick cash if push came to shove, and we have savings that we can borrow from as well as family--who would all pull together in a crisis if need be.

We have plenty of non-perishable provisions stored, we have a good sized fruit and vegetable garden and fruiting trees. We have a large freezer that we store vacuum sealed meats and veggies, propane tanks, tons of firewood, well water, and my husband and I can hunt and fish. We could easily survive and "live off the land" for quite sometime. As a former paramedic I can handle any medical emergency and have an extensive first aid kit, and we have cash and other valuables that we keep in a hidden/disguised wall safe..

And to those who think we live in fear...we don't...because we're prepared for anything! :o) There is nothing wrong with being prepared for whatever life throws you.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Oh, and for the clueless anon who apparently doesn't watch the news

Forbes

Wall Street Journal

Reuters

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Are you a bit paranoid? Which right wing conspiracy theory site have you been reading, i would like to read where this info came from.

Common sense does not need to come from a right wing site. Even Biden admitted the jobs that are lost won't be back.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:20 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Not worried. Prepared as an extension of living frugally like we always do anyway.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you listen to economists, the odds of this happening seem to range from very likely to next to nil

Kind of like weather forecasts. I remember Katrina, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Worried. I was prepared for the recession, but not prepared for a long-term downturn.

We are two years+ into the recession, and foreclosures are spiking. People with jobs and resources are losing their homes now.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• No, she's not paranoid. It's been in the regular news for a while now. A double-dip recession is a real probability.

In answer to your question, OP, no, I'm not as ready as I'd like to be, but I'm as ready as I can be. Hubby isn't as concerned as I am, so that does limit what I can do.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have not pulled money out, but we keep about $7,000 at home just because that is what our parents did for emergencies. I have considered, though not done it yet, buying water purification tabs. We would use them anyway with the back country hiking my guys do. We do have some of the dehydrated meals, but again, they were bought for hiking, but I'm considering stocking up. I do live in a hurricane prone state, and the meals last 10 years. I do have flashlights that don't need batteries, a radio that you crank, and oil lamps. I have considered buying seeds for a veg. garden, but that just seems so survivalist. I don't know. My parents lived through a depression. I don't know I have the skills their parents had, but I can learn if I need to.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• We are as best prepared as can be. My husbands job is secure and we live way within our means. We have plenty in savings and I feel secure. We owe little to nothing just my truck.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm worried, but I am not prepared. One day I'm thinking oh just live for today and then the next I'm wondering how we are going to make it. What is a person to do?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010