help plz

a friend of mine is wanting to adopt a little girl from another country does anyone know a good adoption website were u can view the child and get info about him/her

MiasMommy6908

Asked by MiasMommy6908 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Adoption

• lots of other countries have shut down out of country adoptions due to fraud and corruption. The is a case in Guatemala right now where they have proven the child , who has now been in the stated 5 yrs, was stolen from her birth mother. tell your friend to proceed very cautiously.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:02 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• China has a very stable adoption process. However, the wait for healthy babies is 3-4 yrs. Special needs is much quicker. Less than a year for us. The medical reports from China tend to be fairly accurate. Although, occasionally, something can get lost in translation. The agencies that handle China adoptions will receive a new waiting children's list from China every 3 months. If you select a child from that list, the adoption can go quickly. We had our pre-approval from China within 2 months of starting the process. That meant that they were holding Ben for us to adopt, pending final approval of our dossier. It got to China about 2 or 3 months AFTER we got our pre-approval. And we traveled 10 months after starting the process.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 3:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• About spec needs, they can range from nothing to very serious. I know one family who got to China and had to return the child d/t the condition being much worse than reported. (Culturally, China would not diagnose the actual condition the child had.) Another family got a little girl with what they thought was a minor skin problem. She's terminal. So you need to be very well-informed. By the way, the first family had another child placed with them while in China. She was considered spec needs but turned out to be perfectly healthy. I would look towards spec needs like cleft palates, heart conditions, and structural limb abnormalities. They tend to be the healthiest. Avoid genital problems with boys, and stay away from "large moles". They sound minor but can mask very serious problems.
    mommy22miracles

Answer by mommy22miracles at 3:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think it's important to note that sites that show photos and info about children available for adoption are not necessarily updated in real time. In other words, by the time you have gone through the site, read about a child you may be interested in, etc. that specific child may no longer be available.

The more important thing to do is decide upon an agency to work with, complete the screening process and go through matching and placement after all of that has been done.

If your friend feels like finding that specific child must come first before deciding if adoption is the way to form a family then respectfully (and knowing that I don't know all the details) things may be a little out of order. Kind of like the cart before the horse!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• its so iffy, there are plenty of children in her own state that are waiting for a good mommy
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Does your friend realize how many children are in the US needing homes? I would advise her to look into the foster system. Several families I have read about on CafeMom have been able to successfully adopt healthy infants and older children through foster care. I personally am not a fan of adoption agencies because I think they exploit the desperation of adoptive parents financially. Just my opinion.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:25 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Most international adoption websites dont show pictures of waiting children because each countries process is so much different than another!! Alot of them have lots of laws protecting their orphans so putting their pictures on the internet is not always in their best interest. I would recommend calling a few adoption agencies located in your state... they would be the very best resource. If those dont work, I know of a few very ethical and reliable agencies for international adoption. THere are also tons of great in-country agencies!!!
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 1:21 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I would not recommned looking at the photos until she decides on a country and has a homestudy. The paperwork to complete an international adoption takes longer and is based on specific countries. She should decide on a country then go forward.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 3:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

• rainbowkids.com is a photolisting of waiting children internationally. Most there do have mild, moderate, or severe special needs.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 10:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2008