Say you're married to a guy who is hard-working, loyal, and a great dad, but he has some hang-ups when it comes to expressing affection, and in addition, you sense he may have some resentment towards you....

Would you push for marriage counseling, even though he's not comfortable with it, or would you cut your losses, be thankful for what you have, and try to just get used to the fact that he loves you but doesn't seem to really "like" you alot?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I believe you shoud try every option possible before divorce
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 6:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Not sure I could do that. I need my man to like me

Answer by admckenzie at 6:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• hmmm im not realy sure he sounds like my ex i would ask him all the time do you lave me and he would say i shouldnt have to tell u blah
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• what exactly do you mean by him having resentment towards you?
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:35 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I would not be married to him.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 5:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Hmm, I'd ask him point blank how he feels about me and go from there.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 5:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• have you talked to him about how you feel? Have you said that it feels like he doesn't "like" you that much?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Talk with him and make sure that you use the "I" statements. "I feel..." "I think..."
    Tell him what is on your mind, but be smart about it. Make out a list before hand to keep things on the level without things getting heated.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Neither. I would talk to him and continue to work on helping him be comfortable with being open and honest with me. I wouldn't force him to talk to me or try to force him to talk to me if he wasn't comfortable and certainly wouldn't force him to go to counselling. I also wouldn't accepted the situation because it isn't fair on either of you. I would just try to work at getting him to be open but giving him the space to work on being more open in his own time. I think it requires a lot of patience, understanding and commitment.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I used to feel like my husband resented me or had some type of animosity towards me. At that time he was staying out nights,calling some female on his phone and just really being disrespectful. So i left for a while with my son. We kept in touch, but it wasn't the same. When i finally decided to come back, he asked me back, and became better and plus alot of people he was close to died. He would have some anger in him and i would say why do you have animosity towards me? he would stop what he was doing and check himself and act a little bit better towards me. Bring it to his attention that it seems he resent you about something and you want to know what it is. if he's compassionate he'll tell you, he's sorry you feel that way but it's not you and he'll let you know what it is, hopefully.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010