I'd love any helpful ideas about bedwetting. My 12 year old son saturates the bed every night....even through an adult sized, full protection night pant. We've tried a potty pager, cutting off drinking after 6:30, waking him up in the night to use the restroom, and more!! He is extrememly sensitive to the issue. Our pediatrician isn't worried... says he'll outgrow it. Help!

ejdmom2

Asked by ejdmom2 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• my brother did the same thing nohting really helped he eventually out grew it GL
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Hope you get an answer soon...my 4 year old is the SAME WAY!!!! We have done everything you have. The worst part is for the 1st year of being potty trained we didnt have this issue....it is so fustrating!!!!
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 6:06 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• they kept telling my sister she'll grow it out to. she kept wetting the bad no matter what we tried. EVERYTHING, pagers, waking ehr up occasionally so she gets used to waking up.she would do it like 25 nights outta the month. But it went on til she turned 16 n my mom finally told the pediatricians that enough was enough, and there was an oral medication they gave her. anyway, i think the first prescription lasted like 2 months. she took a pill every night and wouldnt wet the bed night.so after that she never wet the bed again, i dont know what it is, but the poor thing went through so much, i wish they gave it to her younger. she was also very sensitive and would cry, and be embarrassed to accidentally fall asleep anywhere. ask ur doctor about it, if u think there isnt much hope, demand it. it'll help him big time. hope i helped.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My oldest still wets (he is almost 14) and one thing the Dr. suggested was he try bladder exercises -- when peeing he is to start/stop the stream and that might help strengthen the bladder muscles.   I am hoping he will out grow it soon..... 

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Take him to a urologist. Ped's are generalists, I'd consult a specialist.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My child is the same say as softwater she was potty trainning not peeing in the bed now she is she had also been getting bladder infections and she had to have all kinds of test done VCUG and they found she has a bladder/kidney reflex and that can cause them to wet the bed
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I wet the bed until I was in 4th grade, & after all the fuss made about it by my mom, we found out I had a medical condition which was corrected with surgery. This has caused some issues for me because of the way it was handled by my mom. If you've been told that it's something he's just gonna have to outgrow, all you can do is patiently wait. The more you make a fuss over it, the better chance of creating emotion & self-esteem issues for him later. Teach him how to change his sheets if necessary at night & leave it at that. It really isn't that big of a deal unless you make it one. Let him know it is a very common thing especially with boys, (my son wet the bed till he was 11) & that he shouldn't feel ashamed about it, then don't dwell on it.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Could it be a psychological issue? Generally kids who worry a lot or have had to deal with a lot young tend to have problems with bedwetting and usually grow out of it once they grow out of the psychological issue.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my grandmother had hip replacement several years back and i stayed a night with her. she'd had the catheter taken out so the bladder was having to get used to working on its own again. I got her up every 2 hours to go.

is he going to the bathroom absolutely last thing? something else i did when training my toddler was not only to cut off the drinking, but limit how much he drank. he'd still get some if he asked but i gave maybe half the amount.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• is this new, or has this been going on for years?
    if new, i would investigate the psychological side of things.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2010