What is considered a high fever?

How high of a temperature demands that a child be taken to the doctor/ER?
Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• 102 and higher, I would probably take my kids in.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Pick up "How to Raise a Healthy in Spite of Your Dr", which has great information on fevers: http://http://www.attachmentparentingdoctor.com/fever.html

Dr. Sears: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Dr. Sears:
    A fever is not an illness in itself -- it's the symptom of an underlying problem (usually an infection), just as a car's engine light acts as an alarm signal. And not every one is necessarily serious. A higher fever doesn't always indicate a sicker child. Minor viral illnesses may produce a high temperature (104°F to 105°F), while some serious bacterial infections -- like meningitis -- may cause a lower one (101°F to 102°F). Also, a fever that spikes high but subsides quickly is usually less of a worry than a mild fever that doesn't come down easily.
    happytexasCM

• Get to know the typical progression of her fevers, and pay attention to any deviation from their typical course. For example, if your child never runs high fevers and then o ne day does, that's much more serious than if her temperature usually reaches 104°F with a normal cold. The best way to know when to be concerned: Watch your child, not the thermometer, for increasing signs of illness. (One exception: If an infant 3 months or younger has a rectal temperature above 100.5°F for more than eight hours, you should call the doctor right away, whether or not she shows any other signs of illness.)
    happytexasCM

• When to Call Your Doctor for Fever

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 6:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• When to Call Your Doctor for Fever

happytexasCM

• What is consider high is relevant to the child's age and if they are responding to at home treatment. Temperature that response to at home treatment (fever reducer) is not as serious as a fever that will not respond to at home treatment (fever reducer). Also having other symptoms determine if it's prudent to see a doctor immediately or not. I highly suggest that you get the healthwise handbook. It answers many of these questions and more. It has saved me from TONS of medical expenses just because anytime I've had questions about if I should see the doctor or not I consult the book. OFTEN I just follow the home treatment options and everything is fine. Although sometimes I have no choice but see the doctor.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It isn't always how high the fever is. It also depends on how your child is acting. Call the nurseline for your insurance and ask the nurse for advise.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2010