how do you emphasis how important school work is?

I have a very independent and mature 12yr that excels in school normally and has always been in advanced classes, this year she is in 7th grade and in Algebra and she knows the work, she has been getting A's on tests and quizzes and yet is getting an F for the overall grade because of not turning in homework. She said that the teacher wont take late work, so a 12yr mentality is why do it at all. I am frustrated because she wasn't coming to me about this, it wasn't until her Dad and I went to open house that we found this out. Now we are buckling down on her. But how do I express how important this is now that she is in middle school? High school is next and I'm worried.

twindelight

Asked by twindelight at 2:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• All the reasons that you believe that her schoolwork is important need to be told to her. Everyone has different reasons, so whatever yours are, you need to have a serious sit-down and explain. There shouldn't be any privileges until all her work is done. Talk to her about "what she wants to be when she grows up". Some kids really do know by junior high school. Even though it may change 5 times before entering college, to foster that idea in her, will help her focus.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Do she have any idea of what she'd like to do for a career? If so, you can dig up some things about that career and show her how her math relates to that field. That might help her realize that it really will help her in the future.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Have you talked to the teacher about changing his homework policy? The point of school is getting an education. If she's learning it and passing all the test's and quizzes, it doesn't make sense to me that he's failing her solely on her not turning homework in time. Her grade isn't reflecting her education level, and I don't think that's fair to her. In stead couldn't he send home "your in trouble" reports?
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I had the same problem when my son was that age.
    He got a case of lazy-ass!!!!! And he is a very bright child who excells in school (when HE wants to). He would do his homework but when he got in class he was too damn lazy to open his backpack and turn in his work. It got to a point that the teacher and I were sending notes back and forth everyday. The teacher would send a note telling me what the homework was. I would make sure he did it and signed a note saying so. The teacher would then send me a note letting me know if he did or didn't turn it in. It was a hassle but we all made it worked. He is now 16 and has outgrown the school laziness and now is ahead of his class and doing great.
    I do know a lot of teachers now a days are not taking late work at all. They feel these kids should do what they're suppose to when they're suppose to. I can't really fault the teachers. They are getting our kids ready for the real world.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I have the same issue with both my middle schoolers... The oldest, is getting A's and B's in all his classes, with only one D. I wish all the classes would act like the one he is getting the D in.. His has missing homework, at least four to five missing from each class.... But still has A's and B's.... So he looks at it like, why do the homework, he still has good grades, so why turn it in... The class he has a D in is the ONLY class he worries about make up work because his not turning in homework lowered that grade and he realizes, for that class (sadly that class alone) homework turn in, is a major part of the grade... The younger one has straight A's and B's also, with again, four to five missing homework grades... So trying to stress homework is important with high grades is really hard. With low grades, it at least makes sense to do the homework...
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 3:38 AM on Oct. 2, 2008