How are you dealing with "empty nest" syndrome?

My only daughter is going to be a senior in high school this fall. We've already started visiting colleges. While I'm excited for her to grow up and experience new things, I can't help but feel anxious about being alone. We've done practically everything together from the time her father and I divorced. I have very few friends and even less family. I rarely do anything for myself, instead have spent the last 16 years devoted to my daughter's needs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm loving it!!!! My only his leaving home for college in just a few weeks.. And woooo-hooo.. LOL
    My husband and I have been enjoying these past few years leading up to this time. And I'm more than sure we are going to keep enjoying our time after our son has moved out at the end of the summer.

I agree with "older"........ Embrace it. It's your time. You can do anything you want. It's time to spread your wings again, and go out and enjoy yourself.. And enjoy it for YOU.. Do things for you. Experience things for you.

I think having an "empty nest" is like anything else in life. It's all in how you view it.. It can be a new beginning.. It can be an ending.. It's all about perception. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:05 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My husband and I are really enjoying our empty nest, though it is quite often visited by the children, their spouses and the soon-to-be six grandchildren. I never run out of things to do and am never bored.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Do not dread this embrace it, now is your time to do anything you want, find what interests you and go for it, you will be ok.

Answer by older at 7:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010