If you could opt out of social security, would you?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 6:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Since it's not going to be there for me when I retire, it would be nice to be able to have that money NOW...so that I could add it my retirement account, and be responsible for growing it myself!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with Lori. I would gladly opt out if I could get what I paid in now. I know that when I do decide to retire it won't be there and we are pretty set anyways. But to add what we have already paid in, to our retirement savings would be mighty fine! lol
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Sure..

If the government would like to cut me a check for the amount I've paid in during my lifetime.. But we all know THAT'S not going to happen... LOL I've got no problem opting out, I have my own retirement savings. However. I won't lie, It would be really nice to have all that I've paid in back to add to my little nest egg.. :-)

Bottom line. It's just less than 20 yrs before I'm old enough to draw. And the reality is.. There most likely won't be anything there for me to draw anyway.. That money is gone, just like everything else that gets/has been paid in by me and everyone else.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If I were rich and could live off what I save? yes

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with LoriKeet
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Not at this point in my life since we have paid into it for the last 40 some years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Not at this point in my life.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I amazed at how much everyone can kiss off our country's ability to push on. We've gone through something much worse than this BEFORE there was a social security, and made it out just fine. I highly doubt there will be NO money in the future, when most of us do retire. I have more faith in my country and it's ability to rise from adversity than that.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Yes I would. I hate paying into a system that I will never see a benefit from. I'd stop paying into it and start paying into my 401K.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• YES I would, for there is a good chance I WON'T SEE ANY OF IT come back to me when I retire.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010