What is the best breast pump?

I am creating my baby shower registry and I was looking at breast pumps. I am a first time mom and I dont know where to begin. I hear that Medela is the best but then I read some reviews that the double electric breast pump, pumps forceful and hurts more then others. So I need some experienced breast pump users to give me advice please =) thank you guys!!!

Linda_PF

Asked by Linda_PF at 6:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• medelo i think i spelt that right i absolutly LOVED mine!
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• NOT the hand pump i never had one but personaly i think that would be too hard
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 7:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• IT really depends what you are going to use the pump for. Will you be going back to work full time or will you be home full time? If you are going back to work then you want a high quality double electric pump (a good quality one you will be able to adjust and should not hurt!) both Medela and Ameda are good brands. If you are going to be home full time you may not need a pump at all. If you are just going to pump once in a while then a little hand pump will probably be all that you need.
    Avoid pumps from bottle companies (like Evenflo) and know that breast pumps is one place where you really get what you pay for. It is not a place to go with the cheaper one if you are going to be using it a lot.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thanks for the comments so far and maggiemom2000 i will probably be using it 4 days a week i am going back to work full time but i work at home which is nice but the baby cannot be here as i work in a call center and background noise is no good so my mother will have her the 40 hrs a week i cannot...so i guess i will be using it alot now out of the two Medela and Ameda which is the best? They both look great the only differents is like 20 bucks when i was searching on Babies r Us...just want to make sure that after i pay 280 bucks that i get a good quality pump you know?
    Linda_PF

Comment by Linda_PF (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i used mine all the time it worked great i nursed when i was home and pumped when i had o work but i havnt used a ameda so i cant say 100%
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You don't really know if you will produce milk, and buying a breast pump is a big investment on someone. I wanted to breast feed so bad, and the last months of pregnancy I had a little milk leakage, but when it came time to breast feed, No milk was there. Second pregnancy same thing, I tried breastfeeding for weeks.. but no milk. I rented the hospital grade pump. They are so nice. They are the Medela.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 7:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i used medela, uhh.. the medela swing it was called. great pump!
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• HYGEIA!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have used an avent, a medela and an ameda. The avent didn't have a strong enough pump for me. I got nothing out. The medela left blisters on my breasts, and I am currently using my ameda with no problems. I highly recommend an ameda. Diapers.com has amedas for around $160, which is half the price of a double medela pump. Another thing you can do is check out the local medical supply company. Alot of them have breastpumps you can actually look at.
    kwaverysmom

Answer by kwaverysmom at 9:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I love my Medela Pump in Style. I had to go back to work at 5 weeks with this little one and it has saved my life and my sanity.
    MamaNata

Answer by MamaNata at 10:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010