Do you cut your child's fingernails or just wait for them to naturally wear down?

Or do you teach your child to chew them off? I feel so bad when I accidentally snip the fingertips. It's hard.

Ilovepie77

Asked by Ilovepie77 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• try filing them instead of cutting them. it takes a little longer but it does the job! and i wouldnt teach them to chew, thats a real bad habit thats almost impossible to break, trust me ive been biting my nails since i was about 7 and just cant stop lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Oh ick! I'd never show them how to bite them!

I clip my kids' nails all the time. They know to hold still. When they were babies I just waited until they were sleeping in my arms before I'd clip them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I just wait until my child is napping and then i go in and cut his nails. otherwise i so it when i am holding him and he is starting to fall alseep. When my son was a month old i had to cut his nails and i clipped his finger a little bit, he woke up almost started crying, but i got him back to sleep and i started crying. i havent cliped his finger ever since
    mybabychunk

Answer by mybabychunk at 2:11 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• What kind of nail clippers are you using? I have never cut my kids clipping their nails. I would say dont use big toe nail clippers lol!! Maybe you just need to wait to let then grow just a little more then you are?? I have no idea otherwise. And their age depends too. If they are one they are probably sqirming too much to get a good clip. Chewing your nails is very bad for your body.
    http://stopnailbiting.net/nail-biting-effects.html
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• That's understandable when a child is vary young,,you just have to take your time clipping them,kids have a tendency to move a lot

Answer by louise2 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• MY SISTER LETS HER DAUGHTER JUST CHEW HER NAILS AND LET THEM WEAR THEMSELVES OFF. IT REALLY BOTHERS ME BECAUSE SO MANY GERMS GET UNDER THOSE LITTLE FINGER NAILS, AND THAT IS ENCOURAGING A HABIT THAT IS EXTREMELY HARD TO BREAK. I CLIPPED MY DAUGHTERS FINGER A FEW TIMES CAUSE SHE MOVED. I ALWAYS FEEL HORRIBLE AND I CRIED THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED. ITS NOT THAT I CUT THEM TO SHORT, I NICK THE SIDE WHEN SHE TRIED TO JERK AWAY. I STARTED WAITING TILL SHE WAS ASLEEP TO DO IT, CAUSE SHE DOESNT JERK AND I DONT SLIP. GOOD LUCK.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 1:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• clip them
    Alyssamoma08

Answer by Alyssamoma08 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• I have a 8 month old and I clip his nails. Sometimes it takes a day or 2 to get both hands and feet when its needed. I usually only clip them after he scratched me or someone else, I have cut his fingers once or twice, but it was mainly because i cut the nail to short.
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 1:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2008