about breastfeeding...

to moms that BF, what supplies do i need to BF, like creams, shields, ect ect and i tried to bf with my first and never seemed to get her to latch or produce milk so i really want the help to do it this time

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 7:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've found the Coconut Oil is AWESOME! it's just like any other cream but it's non-toxic and you don't have to wash it off. Are you going back to work or being a SAHM? If you are a SAHM you won't need a pump ( or just get a manual hand pump). DO NOT use a breast shield , it is HELL weaning your baby off if it. Nurse on demand, it will help your supply. Drink LOTS of water & Mothesrmilk tea. Take Fenugeek and blessed thistle, if you worry about supply issues. There are some great brestfeeding groups here , join them!
    Good Luck!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I just used those Gerber shields to protect from leaks, and once in a while Lansinoh.  And you will need nursing bras.  I went with the Avent system for pumping and freezing, but that was just for the two weeks I went back to work to tie up lose ends before I quit completely to become a SAHM.  Overall, you don't need a lot of 'supplies' - just you and your baby!

beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It depends on whether you are returning to work FT or staying home with baby. If you're staying home, all you'll need are a few good nursing bras, some nursing pads (the Lansinoh brands work great, they're thin and are not noticable), and big ol' tube of Lansinoh. If you're returning to work and planning on pumping, you'll need a breastpump, bottles for baby, bottles or bags for storage, etc. Your doc can refer you to a lactation consultant to answer any questions.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Definately talk to a lactation consultant ahad of time. Knowledge is the best thing to have. Buy a few breastfeeding books and familiarize yourself with common problems, myths, and solutions. Have lots of nipple cream, breast shells ( avoid shields if you can), a boppy or similar pillow, and nursing pads.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2010