my doc won't even let me go to the hospital til my contractions are 3 minutes apart.

this seems rediculous to me. i was having really painful contractions this morning and they were coming every 4 minutes for several hours, i called her and she told me that if they're 4 minutes apart it's not active labor and to call back if they got to 3 minutes. well i wasn't in labor and they did go away but since when do you have to wait for the contractions to be 3 minutes apart? i live 1/2 hour from the hospital and i don't wanna get there and it's too late for an epidural. anyone heard of this? btw i'm 39 weeks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Doctors just want to ensure you are in active labor.. you can go to the hospital whenever you feel that you are ready.. they can't refuse you.. They are just trying to prevent people from rushing to L&D too soon.. and then laboring there forever..
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have not heard of that. I was told consistent 5 min apart. There is no harm in going to L&D on a hunch though, thats what they are there for.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 8:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you go too soon, you'll get restless. There is nothing they can do for you until you reach a certain point. You just have to wait it out... Sorry, it can be stressful but trust your doc. These things take time and the only thing rushing will get you is stress. You'll get tired and they'll try to "help" you along and you could end up needed a c-section.

Relax, hang out in your home and let nature take over.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I havent heard of that either. If you feel like you should go, then I would go. Good Luck
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Your doctors smoken crack hun! You go when you feel like you are ready to have that baby. If he would have said that to me I would have told him to kiss my Pregnant A** ! Wow doctors think they have lots of control anymore and they don't. The ER will not refuse you YOUR PREGNANT!
    buggin4baby

Answer by buggin4baby at 8:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You go to the hospital when you feel the time is right, and you WILL know when the time is right. They wont refuse you. I started having contractions at about 5 in the morning, went to the hospital at noon, i was only dilated to 2 1/2, they dilated me to 3 1/2, (by the way my contractions were between 4 and 3 mins apart), came back at 4, my water broke at 5 30, got the epidural at about 6 30, and Ayden was born at 10.
    Micki-Cook

Answer by Micki-Cook at 8:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i am one who likes to stay home as long as possible and my midwife told me to wait until i had ctx 3-4 minutes apart for an hour before heading out, and i had a 70 minute drive. but some women have super speedy labors & some women are in active labor with ctx that far apart. personally, i would just wait until labor was so intense that all you could think about was labor, and then go to the hospital, nevermind what the dr says. GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i do agree w/ PP that going too soon can lead to interventions, they might start pitocin to augment your labor, and imo that is a bad thing. ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Go whenever you want to go. If you feel it's time, then it's time, regardless of what your doc says. But just be ware the earlier you get there, the more they might want to intervene!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 17, 2010