Is it worth it?

Politico's Mike Allen reports in his Playbook today that the new issue of Newsweek will feature a major cover story by Richard Haass called "Rethinking Afghanistan: We're not winning. It's not worth it. Here's how to draw down in Afghanistan."

The article is set to be published on Sunday.

Haass, a well-respected voice on foreign affairs who presides over the Council on Foreign Relations, argues that the Afghan war as it's being prosecuted today is indeed a war of President Obama's choosing, playing off the past remarks of RNC chairman Michael Steele that caused a storm of controversy.

In an excerpt obtained by Allen, Haas writes,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/17/richard-haass-in-newsweek_n_650091.html

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree ladies-there is no win to this situation. Why waste time, lives and borrowed money? Sorry- it's a poor investment.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:40 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• We've only been half-heartedly fighting there, and not even really fighting, imo. While we have been there for 9 yrs, we have been concentrating on Iraq for much of that time. The way that we HAVE been trying to fight this, no, it isn't worth it. But I believe that if we equip our troops properly, and let them have ROE that will allow them to do their job, things could be quite different. Will Obama listen to his new commander? I think that will be the determining factor, because I believe that Petraeus knows what he is talking about. So if he says he needs something, Obama needs to get it to him ASAP and let him get down to business!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The way we're doing it now -- no.

Either do it right and give them everything they need to win it decisively or pack it in and bring them home. Quit this mamby-pamby half-way crap. All that's doing is getting our boys (and girls) hurt and killed.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Pack it in and bring them home is not an option. Doing it right is the only option unless we want to battle them again down the road.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree with Auto and Sweet, I think Afghanistan is a no-win situation. We need OUT.

I also agree with May-20. IF IF IF we are going to stay if Afghanistan, which apparently we are, we need to fight like it was WW II.  Give the generals and the troops absolutely everything they need and fight hard and dirty.  Otherwise we will be there for a decade or more. 

There is a reason WW I lasted 4 years, WW II lasted 5 years, and Korea only 3.  We need to apply that strategy to Afghanistan, or get OUT NOW. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• NO
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Nope.
    jaijcoo

Answer by jaijcoo at 8:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• No.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Carpy, I agree that packing it in really isn't an option, that it will do us more harm than good eventually. But if BHO isn't going to allow our troops to do everything necessary to decisively win, if he's not going to actually listen to his new commander and give him exactly what he says he needs, then we've lost and will have to go back and fight again anyway. Might as well save the lives and the money for then.

sweet, mamby-pamby basically means wimpy. Now, I don't mean our troops are wimpy because they aren't. But they are being told to do battle in a wimpy manner, a way that is preventing them from winning this war so that they can come home ASAP. And that's just wrong.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I'm not suggesting anything. I was very clear in my answer. Either BHO needs to give the troops everything they need to be decisively win, or we need to pack it in. He said he wanted to fight in Afghanistan. He needs to do it right, not half-way.

When a commander says he needs 4000 troops (for example), and BHO gives him 1500, BHO is not giving him what he needs to be successful. BHO does not have any military experience. He needs to listen to those under his command who do and respect that they know what they are talking about. Right now, he doesn't appear to be doing that.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2010