Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I want to become a teacher and I have a MBA degree. It has been 10 years since I completed my degree and I was a stay at home for all these years. Can anyone tell me what are the steps for becoming a teacher in Georgia.

Any colleges where I can get my teacher certification in Georgia.

Answer Question

Asked by Vmom79 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in

Level 4 (36 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Have you googled to see if you can find any information about your state. That's where i would start and then go from there or go and speak to the commiutily college.

    Answer by raemommy at 8:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • In Georgia there are a few options. First you will need to take the GACE. Since you have an MBA, then I would take the Math test and try to get certified as a Math teacher. You can either go to a school that offers a Bachelor's degree in Elementary or Middle/High School Education. Depending on the school, you will either have to complete 1-2 years of the education program. Or, since you already have a Bachelor's and Master's degree, then you can go through a program (in North Georgia it is called RESA). This is where you find a school to hire and sponsor you. During your first year, you will be paid as a provisional teacher which is about $30,000. The program will send someone out to observe you as you teach. It takes about 6 months to a year to complete this and once you finish then you will be certified as a teacher. Cont..


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • Cont.. However, having said all of this. There were about 80 students who just graduated with their B.S. in Education from the local college I go to. Only 3 have found jobs in Georgia. 10 have found jobs in Tennessee and 2 have accepted jobs in Alaska. What is going to help you is the fact that while most school systems are not hiring, if you get certified in Math, then you are more likely to get a job that way. The thing that is going to hurt you is that, your degree is not in education and you have a Master's degree (they will have to pay you more). Have you considered teaching at a college? You may be able to find a job as an adjunct teacher.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • Here is the website for the state of Georgia that has all the approved programs.

    On the left hand side, you can click on Alternative Preparation and Routes to Certification. This will give you more of an idea on what you can do and what colleges are approved to certify you.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 12:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • i don't know, but here's sa bump!

    Answer by asil at 9:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.