please answer if you have an IUD

i'm due to get my first IUD next week and have a few questions. these are questions i forgot to ask my doctor and they are closed until monday.....so i figured some of you could answer.

1. why do i have to be on my period for it to be put in? this grosses me out.

2. is the birth control immediate or will i have to use a back up method?

btw - i'm getting the paraguard.

MommyToEthan

Asked by MommyToEthan at 8:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• I had the Mirena for four years, so I've been there, done that! I had mine put in 6 weeks after baby, so I didn't have my period yet. As far as needing back-up method, I think the effect is pretty much immediate - although the wires will kind of feel pokey for a while, it took mine about 2 months to soften to the point that they didn't bother me or hubby.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I had the Mirena, so I don't know if it works the same, but hopefully my answer helps you at least a little. 1. It is easier to get it in when you are on your period, the uterus wall is thinner and it stays in place better (that is what my dr told me) 2. With the mirena, it was effective right away, but they still told me to use a backup for the first week just to be safe.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have the paragaurd. I didn't have to be on my period when I got it put in but I hear it has something to do with your cervix (more open?)

The birth control is immediate :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:26 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The cervix is softer when your on your period. Easier for insertion. I think most doctors will tell you thats its Immediate. I had the Mirena put it at my 6w check up & wasnt having sex yet- so I never thought to ask.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010