I feel bad for getting frustrated with my 2 year old today at the store...am I horrible momma?

I don't like getting visibly frustrated with her, but this afternoon she was pushing my buttons! She poked a hole in a banana that hadn't been paid for yet...she tried pulling the "pretties" out of her hair...she tried scratching me...she screamed like a banshee...UGH! I raised my voice more than a few times, and I even had people look at me! After we left the store, we had our hugs and cuddles. But I still feel bad. Am I bad mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• You're not a bad mom! You're just human, like the rest of us. Nobody can be patient and loving ALL the time. Heck, I bet even Mother Teresa had a few "off" days! lol

It's ok to acknowledge that you didn't like your own behavior, but don't let yourself feel so guilty about it that it interferes with your ability to move on. Give your daughter lots of love and let the past stay in the past.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Don't be too hard on yourself..it happens to all of us. We are only human. I was in the grocery store today and a dad there had his kids with him...the little boy was pulling on him while he was trying to think as he paid with his credit card.... the dad didn't even look at him and said..........shut up and leave me alone lol... it really wasn't all that bad as it sounds....the poor dad had enough and the kid was on his every last nerve.....any parent knows. We have all been there.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 8:52 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You're not a bad mom at all. She is 2...and that is the prime age where they love to test us! Trust me, there have been times when I have gotten frustrated with one or all three of mine at a store. Sometimes they have off days...it happens, but it doesn't make you a bad mom at all!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• She's in her terrible twos. I don't think your a bad mamma at all! What I would have done if you don't like people who stare at you when your disipling her. People can get carried away sometimes. Your best bet is to STOP whatever your doing leave the cart where you can remember it ant take her to the vehicle and that way you won't feel like your being watched and people aren't thinking anything besides that child needs a NAP! Hope I helped a little :)
    buggin4baby

Answer by buggin4baby at 8:54 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The fact that you are concern related the way you reacted to the so common ways little ones test our patience, proves that you are a loving mommy! Good mommies are not perfect,we might loose our cool sometimes, and the store is one of those places where kids show off! If you're going to pay for the banana anyway, give her a bite or take goldfish crackers with you or any favorites to keep her busy. My little ones loved the car like shopping carts. Hugs!
    roxipoet

Answer by roxipoet at 9:00 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You were only paranoid of those nosy onlookers who in most conditions only turn to hear the loud scream, and then turn away. At least that's what I do, becuz I know that's the way I am. In life some love drama and some just turn and mind their own.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• You are not a bad mom just because you lost it for a moment. Two year old will do that to you - I know because I have one who throws every bit of food I give him on the floor. We all get uncomfortable when people in public look at us like we're the worst moms in the world when our kids are acting up. Then they look at us like that no matter how we try to handle the problem. I might have let her pull the pretties out of her hair and finished my shopping as quickly as I could, even though she was screaming. There's not too much you can do about the banana. It's hard to keep them from grabbing the food. I love those race car shopping carts that keep your kid separated from the groceries, but they are not always available. Hang in there, momma! This will pass.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010