How to decorate my kids room cheaply?

I need a way to deocrate my kids room nice and cheap.Right now my kids share a room but there are two bedrooms.My girls aged 6 and 9 share one and then I have a 12 year old son who like video games and wrestling.

Amie72598

Asked by Amie72598 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• paint the opposing walls a brighter color..perhaps something they like, or goes with an inexpensive bedding ensemble. you can spray paint different size picture frames coordinating colors with the bedding/walls, and either put their artwork in, or use shadow-boxes and let them fill them with tokens of their fave things/postcards/small toys.
    most home decor/hobby stores/target/walmart/etc have peel-n-stick/cling characters you can put on the walls, too, and not worry about messing up the walls. they come right off.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I stenciled in my dd's and ds's room. It was fun, but time consuming. It was very cheap cause all I needed to buy where stencil paint and stencil patterns. For the 12 yr old I would probably go with awards he has gotten. Favorite teams and athletes. Characters from his video games...
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Colorful pillows for the girls, some inexpensive shelves/desk, bright colored paint, wall decorations, each with own decorative bedspreads of their choice in color for individual tastes, or a inexpensive trunk or special container for your son to put his sporting goods stuff in if he's sports oriented.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thanks alot.Someone gave me an idea to paint one wall with the chalkboard paint so they could write on that and not the walls.I think at tax time I will see what bed sets I can get for their beds.
    Amie72598

Comment by Amie72598 (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Paint it a color of their choice. Let them paint something on the wall of their choice, such as their hand prints, cars and trucks.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• IKEA has a relatively inexpensive loft bed with desk.

Paint is usually the cheapest decor.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 9:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I always hit the dollar tree and Family Dollar for decorations. I paint the rooms the colors they want but use dollar tree stuff like kites or things like that. Big bright things. I also hit the thrift store. Get stuff for like .25 and put a coat of paint on it and its good as new.
    mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 9:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
    Amie72598

Comment by Amie72598 (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• you can go to the craft store, and buy stencils, and stickers (wall ones) Buy the material, and sew it, and stuff it, for pillow and comforters. Plus you can make curtains to match! Im too lazy, I just go to the Disney Store, but my friend does it, and her kids rooms look just as good as mine :) Good Luck
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Careful with the chalkboard paint...that means you'll have lots of chalk in their rooms which means lots of chalk dust.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010