What do you struggle with in your business?

Everyone has something in their business that they struggle with or have struggled with, wether it is traffic, leads, closing sales, etc. This is very known due to the high failure rate (97%) in home businesses. The idea behind this post is to expose the things that entrepreneurs struggle with on a day to day basis and provide suggestions for each other to learn from. So what is your struggle?

tpalmer

Asked by tpalmer at 2:17 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

• Getting people to pay for the service they get from me. Seems that most everyone wants to negotiate like a shrewd Arab dealer to get as close to free as possible. You'd be amazed how many "friends" use friendship for a free favor. Real friends would understand that I have overhead expenses and show their appreciation. I provide very intricate work, not a product like a piece of gum off the shelf.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• People want something for nothing. They don't understand that EVERY business requires an investment or an overhead cost.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 3:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have to agree with Sassy!
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i havent started my business yet, im going into the gift basket business, so it was nice to come across this question, thanks for posting it
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree with Sassy too!
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 5:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Do people want products for free or join your business for free? If you think about it people expect something for nothing or alot for a little bit because of the way things are done in the corporate world. When a store newly opens, they always have a grand opening mega sale. Or just sales period. The point is that many people expect some sort of bargain because that is what they are accustomed to in their environment.

So what do we do to change that?

I know when people complain about the investment for my business, I ask them if they know of any business in this world that was started without an investment? Then I kindly let them know that investing in their own business is no different. I am also able to weed people out with that one question depending on how they answer it.
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 6:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Great answer TPalmer. I guess everybody wants to do a business an not to invest in it.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 8:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• In my case is trying to get people to BELIEVE in themselves. The funny thing is, people complain, but yet do nothing about it. I give them options, opportunities and they take the road highly traveled. The ones that succeed are the ones that WANT to succeed and accept change in their lives.
    Everyone wishes they had their own business, but when is time to put out, they freak out. Why would a home business be any different than other business. They all have an initial investment. Home businesses just have better advantages, less overhead, and you can be in your PJs all day. LOL.
    You all get the point here. Sassy, Tpalmer, my thoughts exactly.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 11:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree with Sassy....they want something for nothing. You should NOT pay to work from home with a JOB! But, with a business there are going to be some start up costs. They don't think of biz cards, flyers, websites, advertising costs, etc. It is frustrating when you see people saying that start up fees are scams!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• BusinessMom you can only help someone so much before you have to let them go (even if they bought your product). I had to get past that as well, when I first started I felt bad if I couldn't get people going but the reality is that you can't do their business for them they have to want it. All you can do is provide them with the path. They have the choice of following it or not.

Everyone doesn't want a home business, they want the money that a home business potentially brings. Even if they do want a home business, if their mindset and attitude is not right then they will fail anyway.
    tpalmer

Answer by tpalmer at 6:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2008