Surrogate mother, what's your thoughts?

I'll be 19 in about a month. I know that's young. But I have always wanted to be a surrogate for some couple to help them have a child. Last year I found a website that you can talk with other surrogate mothers, and people who are looking for surrogate mothers. (Just to find out more about it) But last year I was still in school, but now Im just a stay at home mom, and Im waiting for my son to start pre-school before I go to college, or anything like that. And I got an email from a couple who have been married for 10 years, and desperately want a kid. And I pretty much fell in love with them lol, they seem like great people. And the way she explained how they want the whole thing to work is exactly like I would want it. But... my husband is for it, but thinks I should wait until we have another kid ourselves. But we don't plan on having anymore for at least another 4-5 years. I know Im more than ready, and willing than ever.

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• cont's But I want an outsiders opinion. Ive asked most of my close fmily, and they've said go for it, as long as I know bills will be paid for the baby, and appointments. But what do you think?
    Jessica1991

Comment by Jessica1991 (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If it's something you can honestly see yourself doing, then talk it over with your husband first. Afterall he will be the one holding your hair back while you're puking from morning sickness and all that.
    Find out why he wants to wait.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I couldn't do it. I know the baby wouldn't be mine, but how can you feel that baby grow for 9 months and then hand it over? Not judging, but it isn't something I could see myself doing.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• That sounds like a wonderful thing you could do for that couple and the cash for you.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I would do it if my body were better at carrying babies. Miscarried 3 times and didn't carry my other 2 to term....not a prime candidate. It would be difficult emotionally to give the baby away (even to the bio parents) after feeling the baby move inside your body. It takes an amazing woman to do something like that.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I would do it in a heartbeat for a family member but I am not sure about strangers. If you do it, please contact a lawyer to help draw up papers so that you are protected just in case something goes crazy in the time that you are pregnant. Good luck and what a wonderful gift!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I know I thought hard about that, carrying the baby. i know I will bond with the baby A LOT, and even love it. But the only way i would be able to become a surrogate mother, (which i forgot to mention) would be if I had their sperm and egg put inside me. That way I would know it wasn't my child. And I would want to have letters. or pictures sent after birth just to see how the baby was and everything. Which they mentioned was something they were very open for.
    Jessica1991

Comment by Jessica1991 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010