Cyst on Kidneys (Child)

My daughter's temperature was high the other day and despite my efforts all day Thursday I was unable to get her fever under control. So we ended up in the ER with a whole battery of testing including x-rays and CT scan. We went today for a follow up with our doctor and learned what was seen exactly on the CT scan. She has a cyst on her kidney. We are getting a referral to a pediatric urologist and will be seeing him soon. My doctor wasn't able to answer questions such as how common is this, etc?

He basically said that was for the urologist. I've been googling it and can't seem to find any concrete answers with how common this is in children. So my question, really, is does anyone have an idea how common this is in children and can they direct me to any resources that I can read while I wait to talk to the urologist? I would like to be informed as much as possible before I talk with the urologist.

SAHMinIL2

Asked by SAHMinIL2 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It depends what the final diagnosis is. My youngest has polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and it's pretty rare. Hopefully it's not that but you can check http://www.pkdcure.org/ for more info.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk :)

Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• No fat diet
    Cranberry forced fluids
    Move around more often
    Bunches of fiber
    More veggies or V-8
    No sugar (extra)
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have a cyst on my kidneys and the only issue Ive had with it is reoccurring bladder infections but other then that It doesnt bother me at all.
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010