Sippy cup drama

My girls are 13 months and refuse to drink from a sippy cup. I have numerous kinds (even the straw kinds) and stages, nothing has worked. I have tried to give them a bottle first and then change to the sippy in the same feeding. I have tried just giving them a sippy cup and that leads to the girls throwing a fit (that I give into after 45min ~ cause they gotta drink their milk)

Does anyone have any suggestions...

Thanks!!

twinkies_EnA

Asked by twinkies_EnA at 10:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the same problem with my now 2 yr old, and I finally ended up buying the take and toss sippy cups. (Not the straw ones) I did that so he would have the concept that juice (or milk) actually does come out of it, because with the ones with the valve all he would do was chew on the spout and not suck it. After he got used to that cup for a few weeks, then I transitioned him to one with a valve and hard spout (the soft spouts just encouraged him to chew on it). And from then on it went smoothly.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Throw away all bottles.
    Ladywithtwo

Answer by Ladywithtwo at 10:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• well...I know my son decided to hate his sippy for a while, and he's 24 months and won't let his bottle go! I do bottles for milk only, and some times I give him juice boxes rather than a sippy cup. try that, If you think they can master the staw, good luck!
    aidansmyheart

Answer by aidansmyheart at 10:15 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If it were ME...I would just go back to the bottle for a couple weeks and then try the sippy again. They may just not be ready. My daughter wouldnt take to the sippy for the longest. Finally one day, she just did. Pushing it on her was just stressful on the both of us. I know that the reccomendation is to have them off the bottle at 12 months...but hey...not all kids are made from the same cookie cutter. My 1st was a champ with the sippy cup..took it at 5 months, was bottle free the day her turned 1. My daughter on the other hand...she finally drank out of the sippy at about 10 months but wouldnt let that bottle go until she was 16 months.
    GOOD LUCK!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you figure it out, let me know. My son is 23 months and I have a 9 month old. So he still has a bottle at nap and bed. It is going to be a nightmare when the bottles leave for good. I did finally find a cup he drinks from during the day though. It's basically like a little insulated coffe cup, like mine. It's by playtex. Looks just like mine, so he thinks he is drinking from the same thing. I had him transitioned and the baby came and it was a loosing battle. I guess just stick to one cup for them and stick it out. It just may take a while.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:16 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• If you dont Give her a bottle choice then she'll have NO Choice but to drink from a sippy cup.. They have these spill proof ones that are called tummy ticklers or something like that.. in the juice isle at the supermarket and They have like dora, ariel, bob the builder and more on the top ... She might like those and they are reusable, easy to hold, and come with juice already in them. They run about $5 for 2 and my kids LOVE THEM!
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Have u tried going straight to a cup? I know some moms that skipped the sippy cup. Also, my son refused it. He bawled once. I introduced it slowly. Took a while but he got used to it.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Have you tried a straw cup without a valve? My son had the same issue with sippies, and I figured out that the spill-proof straw sippies are much harder to suck out of. I got him some of the Take-n-Toss straw cups, and he did fine with those. They're not spill-proof like the valve sippies, but they're surprisingly spill-resistant, if that matters at all. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:22 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I agree throw all bottles away. But it doesn't have to be something mean. Do a big girl ceremony. Gather all the bottles up and put them in a small trashcan and tell your girls, "Congratulations! You have graduated to big girl status! You get to do X Y Z that you didn't get to do before! Babies can't do XYZ like you can, I'm so proud of you! Now it's time to say bye bye to our baby things and hello to our big girl things!" You can also put baby toys and blankets and what not in a big bag and explain how now you are going to give these things to a new baby so she can enjoy them just as much as you did! I'm not saying this is not going to create tears but it's the final step to move forward. You'll have a couple really hard nights, but she'll eventually calm down. Have a support partner there so you can take turns make sure she's safe. Be sympathetic to her but don't baby her and don't give in! She'll just cry harder
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 10:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Just give a cup. There is o need for a sippy cup and the don't need to wander around with adrink all the time. sippys are bad for moth development anyway.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2010