• In the Spotlight:

What more can I do?

I am a certified Early Childhood through eighth grade teacher and have been subbing for three years. I can't seem to get a full time, contract position for the life of me. My family and I are struggling to keep our heads above water financially and the stress is about to undo me. I don't know what else I could possibly do.

MamaNata

Asked by MamaNata at 10:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• Watch for jobs at your local library, too.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• you teachers have it so hard right now~pink slip season was harsh here. What do teachers waiting for a full time position do? Actors are known to wait tables..teachers? humm. that exotic dancer is out, that will not promote job security...designated reader for a family with after noon teaching...

bring dinners to people~finish peoples projects~be an organizer~have your own after school or reading program~license your home and do toddler care or preschool~do a "bridge" program for kids not ready for K, but need to practice the routine and social stuff~sell people's stuff on ebay for them~work at Whole Foods or Trader Joe's for a discount~teach zumba classes~sell Apple on line~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Try museums; textbook publishers; other school systems. You may also want to look into corporate training positions.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:12 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Day care centers, those based in large churches are always looking for certified teachers to make their program similar to a private school. My children attended a church day care center and they had certified teachers. It cost a lot more, but I felt they were not just being 'watched' but being taught something. When they got to real school they were leaps and bounds ahead of the other students. I would also look into tutoring. There is a huge market for that here. My niece works for Sylvan Learning Centers and she loves it. She has control of her hours and she works year round, not just the school session time.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 5:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What state do you live in? It's HARD to get a teaching job today. I'd suggest looking into daycare/pre school programs. At Least that would be more consistent work than subbing. Have you added any endorsements to your certificate? That can help open more doors for you as well. I am adding a SPED endorsement to my elementary level certificate, so I can teach in a Special Education classroom too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I live in Texas. Originally I was only EC-4th Generalist and then I added 4-8th Generalist and then ESL EC-4 Generalist. I am lucky that there is a school that uses me as their first choice whenever a sub is needed and they have two women that will be taking maternity leave this year so I will atleast be able to pick up a long-term if nothing else comes along.

Thanks everyone (well those that gave a serious answer). I'm trying to stay upbeat. They do say that by 2014 there will be a ton of teaching positions nationwide. I just need to keep my certification current until then.
    MamaNata

Comment by MamaNata (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010