Penny taste...?

I got this really wierd taste in my mouth that tasted like I had been licking pennies or something...anyone heard of this?

lovinthislife08

Asked by lovinthislife08 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Ok, after some minor research, I have learned this:Blood cells contain hemoglobin which carries oxygen. When blood breaks down, iron is released and causes a metallic taste in mouth.

So it very well could just be because of your high iron levels. If it persists then go see your doctor about it. If it goes away then I wouldn't worry. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Are you pregnant?
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 10:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• lol never
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• are you taking steroids? Because that is really common. Otherwise you could have small bleed inside your nose. I could check any side effects of any medications you are taking.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:34 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• No steroids, I don't know if I'm pregnant if I am it's still too early to test. My last cycle started June 24. The only medicine I'm on is metformin and I've been on that for a while and never had this happen. It came out of nowhere....
    lovinthislife08

Comment by lovinthislife08 (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Have you undergone any surgery or anything that you've been under anesthesia for? Sometimes that can give you a copper taste in your mouth.
    Bleeding gums, kidney stones, diabetes, prenatal vitamins, calcium, iron supplements etc...all could leave a penny taste in your mouth as well.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• i heard that has to do low iron
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• That's the thing, I have high iron and I haven't been taking any other medicine and no surgery lately.
    lovinthislife08

Comment by lovinthislife08 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I heard it was the opposite, that HIGH iron can leave a metal taste in your mouth. Hmmm....perhaps I need to google...
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• It's so wierd it's never happened before, and it didn't last long.
    lovinthislife08

Comment by lovinthislife08 (original poster) at 10:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010