What do people do in retirement?

When old people stop working, what do they do all day? I would think they would get bored after a while.

serioussifL

Asked by serioussifL at 10:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• both my parents are retired, but they have properties that they rent, so they manage those.....
    my mom is a florist by trade, but does it on the side for just people she knows that asks her to do it...so it's not like she's tied down or it's anything like a career or fulltime job.
    my dad has picked up a few hobbies like metal detecting....
    they both are very active in church activities and help out a lot in that aspect of their lives.
    they come to visit their grandchildren a lot and go on trips with their friends :)
    It's basically anything and everything you want to do, as long as your financially set!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• laughingWe sit on CM and answer questions all day!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Idk, but my dad's loving retirement! He has more time for his gardening, golf and other things he didn't have enough time for when he worked 40+ hours per week.

You know, this question is kind of like asking what SAHM's do all day long when their kids are in school.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• My 'retired' neighbors have part-time jobs. They also travel a lot, play cards, shop.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:40 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Lol- Ive wondered the same thing.. I mean I wonder what ill do once my kids grow up and move out.. I think ill be bored then.. lol..
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 10:42 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Oh, and if you call my parents old they'll laugh at you. They're 65 and in the prime of their life they say. :D
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Anime I dont think its anything like what people ask what SAHM's do while there kids are at school.. I dont think U can compare retirement to that in anyway.. although I am a stay at home and work at home mom..and I have 2 kids at home all day and 1 in school.. I think even when all 3 of mine are in school.. I will be busy trying to get this house more clean and back in order, since its hard to do that now even with being stay at home.. because if they kids stay home more the house gets messier by nature...
    MommySteph1011

Answer by MommySteph1011 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• They keep busy. Think how fast your weekend goes.... It's like that in retirement, only everyday!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• People who are retired have to stay busy and most will tell you that. At least I have heard it tons and I have spent most my childhood with retired people. My grandparents watched me during the summers and such and all they did was old people stuff. Seriously. Some will keep a routine that is similar to the one they keep before they retired. Like wake up and go to sleep at the same time and eating schedules are kind of set then too. You know the preverbal eating at 5pm?

My grandparents were members of the FDR post and were very active in that. The both bowled and were part of bowling leagues. They volunteered at Meals on Wheels, a city program that delivered meals to elderly people. And they went to church. They also kept up their yard and garden. And did a fair amount of traveling.

My aunt who is retired is part of a professional group that she volunteers for and does mentoring through that.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 11:02 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• travel
    voluteer
    play with grandchildren
    work
    hang out with friends
    exercise
    read
    enjoy life

Answer by rkoloms at 11:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010