Do you talk to other people's kids?

When I take my 20 month old to the park, children's museum, or other places kids are, I will smile and talk to the children who are playing around her. Obviously not anything creepy, but I say hi to them, tell them my daughter's name, sometimes I'll ask their name and have little kid conversations with them. I've been a teacher and worked in child care, so it's natural to me. Most parents are friendly about it and will join in with me, but sometimes I get these looks like I'm crazy and the parent won't talk to me, let alone look at me. Uh...what? I'm definitely not being pushy, just friendly to children playing. So what about you?

KDW211

Asked by KDW211 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• Definitely not pushy!!! I do it all the time, at the bus stop, when we go to the school functions, i used to do it when they were small like your little one too, some people are just strange!!!
    kki2700

Answer by kki2700 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I do it too...but I can also understand why some people might freak out. People are weird and you can't always tell who the weirdos are...
    Anonymous

• I do it too. If the lady in front of me in the check out line has a child, I'll flip my cart around so the kids can see each other and I'll talk to the other child too. I'll praise other kids for doing something. I seem to be the only mommy in our Mommy & Me classes that will applaud when someone else's child does something neat. Weird.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• yes you are being pushy if you are saying RIGHT WHEN YOU MEET THEM, but if your child has been playing with the kid for more than 10 minutes then yes its ok to do the small talk
    Anonymous

• Anonymous @ 4:29 - it's not like I approach kids out of the blue and start talking to them. If they come over to where my child is play or vice versa and they look at me, I smile at them and say hi. If they're old enough to talk and start talking to me I talk back. If I didn't have my kid with me at the time, I could see where it would seem off, but if she's with me, well, why not be friendly? Thanks for the opinion, though.
    KDW211

Answer by KDW211 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have done the same thing. I love kids. I wanted to have 12 but my body had other plans. I have as good of a raptore with my kids friends as I do my own. I have always taken the opportunity to talk to the kids, and if the parent shied away, OH Well. You and I have done nothing wrong. Go for it.
    T_Knight

Answer by T_Knight at 4:58 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It all depends on the situation,,when your talking to someone else's kids..You all know how many crazy, snatch your kid's people, are out there..You just have to understand some parents are cautious..About people they dont know..

Answer by louise2 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think its sad that in this day and age, you have to teach your children to be suspicious of everyone they meet. But you really do. My daughter was overly friendly to EVERYONE when she was little. She'd have gone anywhere and done anything anyone asked her to - we had to watch her like a hawk and really discourage her from talking to people she didn't know. Society today, with all the creepy crazies, has made parents overly careful sometimes. Maybe you could strike up a conversation with the parent first, wait until they address the kid and the kid sees you both chatting, then it might make the parent more comfortable.
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 7:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i talk to other kids, the same way as you do. i also was a preschool teacher so it's natural to me as well.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I HAVE WORKED WITH KIDS MY WHOLE LIFE AND SO IT IS MY NATURE TO TALK TO THE KIDDOS AROUND. I HAVE GOTTEN PLENTY OF THOSE "WHY ARE YOU TALKING TO MY KID YOU FREAK?" LOOKS. IT BREAKS MY HEART THAT PEOPLE HAVE TO BE THAT WAY, BUT IN THE WORLD WE LIVE IN YOU KINDA HAVE TO. I HAVE TO ADMIT I HAVE GIVEN PLENTY OF THOSE LOOKS MYSELF. IT NEVER BOTHERS ME IF THE OTHER PERSON HAS A CHILD WITH THEM, CAUSE I LOVE HAVING THE OPPROTUNITY TO HAVE MY DAUGHTER INTERACT WITH OTHER CHILDREN. I JUST WOULDNT LET IT GET TO YOU, AND JUST SMILE TO YOURSELF THAT THEY ARE ATLEAST BEING CAUTIOUS WITH THEIR CHILDREN. I MIGHT BE WIERD BUT I LIKE TO SEE WHEN OTHER PEOPLE ARE BEING PROTECTIVE OVER THEIR KIDS, EVEN IF THAT MEANS FROM ME, EVEN IF THEY ARE BEING A LITTLE OVER-PROTECTIVE. I HAVE KNOWN TO MANY PARENTS WHO DIDNT GIVE A DARN. I WOULD JUST CONTINUE TO BE YOURSELF, AFTERALL ITS HOW WE ARE WITH OTHER PEOPLE THAT TEACHES OUR CHILDREN HOW TO INTERACT.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 1:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2008