how do yu breastfeed when baby gets teeth

Kayla23boys

Asked by Kayla23boys at 10:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• the same as you always do....they may bite because they're teething, but you pull them off and tell them no and continue. if they continue to bite and not really feed then they're probably not hungry and just want something to chew on! lol
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Agree with CAGirl - you can't really prevent them from biting you, but they learn real fast that if they bite, mealtime is over!! Both my kids only bit me a few times. Granted, it freakin' hurts.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• out of my 3 children only one bite while breastfeeding. Here is a link to a journal I posted on what to do if baby bites http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/91398/Biting_when_breastfeeding_solution
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Same as before teeth! Wesley bit me twice. The first time I was so shocked I screamed "ouch" and probably said a bad word (I know, bad mommy - but wow it hurt!). He just looked at me and giggled, then kept eating. The second time I set him away from me, told him very sternly "no do not bite" and let him cry about it for a few minutes. Then I let him continue to eat. He never did it again. We did wean by 11 months, and he only started getting teeth at 7 months. I think he bit me when he was about 8 or 9 months. It can be done though. Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Its surprisingly not much different than with teeth. Most babies, if they bite, will learn quickly from mommy's reaction that biting is a no go. And trust me, babies want their food. If they thinking biting might interfere with them getting fed like they want, they cease and desist pretty quickly. I was lucky with my dd, she never really bit me hard. The few nips she tried to take, I scolded her and pulled away. She never tried it again.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• my baby would bite me when he was teething and it hurt sooo bad. I would pull away and say, no baby. That would happen for awhile, the he would bite me i would scream and he would laugh. That's when i switched over to the bottle.
    mrs2323

Answer by mrs2323 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The same way you did before your baby had teeth

Answer by rkoloms at 11:47 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Same as always. A biting baby is not hungry so it's perfectly fine to remove them from the breast until next feeding time.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• The same as before.....I only got bit a couple of times when a cold was invovled and the baby was having trouble breathing b/c of a stuffed nose.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 10:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2010