DH just found HUGE hairy spider in basement! Could it be a wolf spider or brown recluse? They seem to look very similiar when I googled them up.HELP!!!

This is the 3rd time we've found a spider like this. The other two times, I freaked out and beat it to a pulp so noone could look at it to tell me what it was,lol. I had to remember what it looked like from memory.
But this time, DH found it and I brought a coffee can real quick and we caught it...but not without accidentally smashing half of it of course (because were scaredy cats and we got scared,lol). But I have a better look of it now.
Still can't tell what it is.
ANY TIPS WOULD BE HELPFUL!!!

ewwewewewewew...I have the heebie jeebies..I'm not gonna be able to sleep! I HATE SPIDERS!!!!

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Crazy for Credits

•  

http://www.termiguardusa.com/Brown-Recluse-Spider.jpg

this is a brown recluse.. see the little violin on his back?  That is one way to identify them..

wolfs can look like any of these:

http://spiders.zacharoo.com/wolf/wolf.Dscn1898.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/spider2.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bizzyb0t/1809066189/

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• a picture would help, google picture of each spider, if none of the pictures look like the ones you've found, maybe it's a different kind of spider. Maybe house spider, I think that' what it's called its what our appt manager called them. They areas huge as a quarter and big and brown and very creepy. I'm scared to death of spiders so when I saw those I scream bloody murder and my husband came flying in thinking I was being attacked by an intruder, lol.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• were do u live? i know in my state ( n.h ) there rare but every so offten theres one on the news.. if ur in an area were there more common then i would look into it. all i remeber from a medical show i watched were a teen was bitten was a brown recluse thankfuly the mom caught it and brought it w/ her to the doc. her son was in pain from a bit. anyways.. what i remeber was brown of corse and really big. big creepy legs long creepy legs, almost looked like a wood spider. have u looked up wood spiders? i know we have thoes and i swear there mini tarantulas also the brown rucluse and wood spiders are fast runners. i wish i really could help, eaither way just incase shake blankets/pillows before getting in bed. i feel for u i hate spiders and u think someone was murdering me when i run into one..even a tiny spider. best of luck and sorry for ur encounters.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• What kind of web did it have what did the web look like.. Did it jump, Was it aggressive or defensive.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• As icky as it is to do, go ahead and google pictures of spiders. * shudder * I hate to even think of it, but this is how you'll figure out what it is.

Answer by Bmat at 11:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I live in a area were both are common. I'm not scared of them but I am afraid they will bite my kids anyways I thought we had brown recluses when we first moved into this one house. They really do look a lot alike I found out though we had wolf spiders ick. From what I have observed from that experience is this wolf spiders will more likely try to get a way and their black marks are just strips down their backs if you can get a close enough look. Brown recluses are less likely to run when found unless they realize you can kill them and have violin shaped black marks. I could tell you if I saw a pic of the spider :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• typically brown recluses have thin legs.. a wolf spider has thicker, and a "scarier" look about them..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• http://www.hobospider.org/

and this is a hobo spider.. they are also brown.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• note hobo spiders are typically only in the northern east part of the usa..

like washington state, oregon, and Idaho.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:27 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• and while they resemble types of wolf/house/funnel web spiders, they are only common in the area's I listed..

funnel web/wolf/house spiders all vary by names and descriptions on the web, but none are worrisome (other than heebee geebees of course).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:28 AM on Jul. 18, 2010