Any tips to reduce high fever?

My little boy (5 years old) is having a fever that is close to 104. I gave him tylenol it does not seem to reduce the fever. My pediatrician told me that if the fever get close to 105 I will have to take him to the emergency. I would appreciate if you have any tips to reduce fever.

Mamitaocupada

Asked by Mamitaocupada at 11:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Oh I forgot to write down, that he is having a cool bath too. But is is not working
    Mamitaocupada

Comment by Mamitaocupada (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I was going to say...lukewarm bath... ibuprofen works better than acetaminophen.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 11:28 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• cool wash cloth on the back of the neck when not in the bath water
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 11:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• he shouldn't be in a cool bath, it should be a luke warm bath
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• oh i was told no to cool baths...that can put your child into shock !

what has worked for my children quite quickly is the tylenol suppositories....not such a nice job, but when a fever gets the high you need something to absorb quickly ! and to me, those were a lifesaver several times for my oldest girl !

best of luck !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Cool (not cold) bath
    Strip him of clothing...(except undies of course)
    No blankets
    Is it hot in your area? Do you have an a/c or a fan?
    HAve him drink ice water.
    Put some ice in sandwhich sized ziplock baggies,wrap with a wash cloth...place them under each armpit, behind his neck, behind his knees or between his knees (like he holds it there bewtween his legs.
    Thats how we got a man high temp down at a hospital I worked at..he was 107.

Hope your son feels better soon.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:29 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Give him a popsicle or an ice cold drink. Cool wet wash cloths on his neck and head and in his armpits and groin, if he will let you put them there. Nothing but underwear and a light sheet to cover him.

Also you can rotate ibuprofen and acetaminophen every three hours.

If you are giving the name brand tylenol there was a big recall a few weeks ago, so it is suggested you give the store brand medicine instead. One of the problem that the tylenol and mortin had was that they didn't contain enough of the active ingredient, and some had too much.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:31 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• water play~not too cold~get as much water in him (straw, ice), few clothes. for us in the ER they would dose with motrin even if I just doses with tylenol and they of course they search for a source of the fever...
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 11:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Thank you so much ladies. I really appreciate it your input!!
    Mamitaocupada

Comment by Mamitaocupada (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I am happy to report that his fever went down and he is comfortably sleeping. Thank you for such great tips.!!
    Mamitaocupada

Comment by Mamitaocupada (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2010