Would/do you....

let your children read books such as Harry Potter/Twilight? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Absolutely! (Those are actually my two favorite book series...ever!) I know all the arguments for why you should not let your children read them, or even read them yourselves. But when it comes to books and movies, I take the same stance as I do with holidays. It is what you make it.  Obviously, those books aren't suited for a younger age group, but if they are old enough to be able to read those books, they are old enough to understand the difference between real and make-believe.  

I will say, though, that I get very tired of people preaching against the "witchcraft" of Harry Potter (when I'd wager a guess that 90% of those people haven't actually read them), when they don't think twice about letting their children watch Snow White, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, or any HUGE number of children's movies.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:32 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Well my kids are a little young to read such advanced books. We're still working on Green eggs and Ham but I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to read them when they're older.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If my daughter was old enough to read them, sure, why not? I'm not sure about Harry Potter...I've never liked those books, I thought the plots were stupid and corny. I'm a huge Twilight fan, though. So when she's old enough, I'll let her read my books if she wants. They'll be collectors items by then xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I do not get why people seem to have their faith or belief systems compromised by a work of fiction! If you believe in God or whatever you believe in then why can you not be strong engough to enjoy a fantasy work of fiction. I have said this before...do you think Jewish people are affraid of Christmas Tree's? A two thousand year old religion brought to a screaming halt by a fir tree! Nuts! I believe what I believe and I am am not such a ninny that I would allow a book or movie or a cult shake that belief system and I am raising my children to be just as strong!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• When my kids are older, they can read those books if they'd like to. My oldest is only 5 right now so that's a ways off. I don't think those things have any real influence on someone's religion or beliefs. I used to believe in Santa Claus when I was growing up and it didn't damper my belief in Christ at all. I enjoy the Harry Potter movies, but I'm still a Christian.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My kids are too young to read that stuff. I've never read them myself but I'll let them try it if they want, but knowing that I'll be questioning the content and discussing it with them. As for Twilight, some teens are reading it in our youth group and told me about it. In my opinion the whole premise is just silly (love triangle between girl, vampire, werewolf). =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 3:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My eight year old daughter is reading the fourth book of the Harry Potter series right now. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    craftyleah

Answer by craftyleah at 3:15 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yes, because I am pagan. They are both a little advanced for my girls yet, but I will let them read them. I do tell them that what occurs in the books is not real. Paganism or Wicca is NOT the same as reading Harry Potter (or watching Charmed). You can't do the things that are done in Harry Potter.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 3:37 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• lifeofchaois, don't knock it until you try it! I thought it sounded terribly silly until I picked up my sister's copy out of boredom. FAR FROM "silly"!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My children can read whatever they choose. I don't believe in censoring reading material.

I would rather see them read something that I don't agree with and then discuss it, than never be exposed to the idea.

The reality of this world is that there are people of different beliefs, different experiences, different cultures, etc...if you don't teach them that people are allowed to be different, then you have done them a great disservice in the long run.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 3:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008