Calling all SMOKERS! I'm just wondering how many more rights are we going to allow to be taken away before we make a stand and say enough is enough "I WANT MY FREEDOM"?

This is in debate because I know it will cause one.
They have banned our smoking in bars!
They have Banned our smoking in public places! 100 ft. from public buildings!
Even places where the only clientèle is smoking it's been banned!
They keep raising our taxes!
Now they are screaming for more bans!
Smoking is no longer a right even though it is legal! It has became a choice of consequence, while other dangerous thing that have been ptroven as bad or worse remain untouched. Really how sad is that. Yes there are studies that "prove" smoking a horrible danger, but at the same time the are studies that counter those studies. However there are no countering studies that many meds. are worse than smoking, or that car pollution adds way more pollution than if the entire world chain smoked for fifteen years! Eating unhealthy and obesity are the leading causes of heart attack! So come up are you ready to make a stand I am!!!

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Carpy- in terms of the establishments- I think many, many are happy with the legislation and ban. There are far more non-smokers than the converse that visit restaurants and places of business. This has only boosted business for most, IMO. Bars? i still believe that the non-smokers out number those who puff.

Here in my area in Michigan alot of bar owners are complaining. Actually if I owned a restaurant, I would by choice make it smoke free, But that is the key MY CHOICE. But the bars are another issue and the gov has no right dictating what legal activity you can allow in your own establishment. If I don't want to breath in smoke I can choose someplace else to go. My choice, their choice.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Personally, I am glad it is banned in bars and restaurants...because it really makes for a terrible time for non-smokers. I also agree with smoking being banned in cars with children in them.
    Although there are other things that pose danger, it's best we work on the more solveable ones first. This is just my opinion however. I do not smoke, but I can imagine how it would be awful to give up such an addiction, and be banned from it in certain places.
    I personally get headaches from ciggarette smoke, so if someone is smoking near me, I have to move...if they still had smoking in bars/patios etc....I would not go to them ever.
    xoxticiaxox

Answer by xoxticiaxox at 11:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I have to disagree with you on this one. A person's right to breathe should trump someone's right to smoke. People should have the freedom to walk into a store and not have four or five smokers hogging the entrance. A person who is sick should have the right to be treated without smelling cigarette smoke on their healthcare provider's scrubs, breath, fingers. My daughter had a severe asthma attack and the ER nurse smelled like an ashtray. You know what triggers asthma attacks in her? Cigarette smoke.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• What about my freedom to breath clean air? To be able to walk in the park, on the sidewalk, in a parking lot and not have to breath in your smoke? What about being able to sit in my car with clean air and not have a fellow driver polluting my air?

Sorry, but you can smoke as much as you want in YOUR house. But don't get pissy that others don't want to smell it. Smokers don't understand how invasive a cigarette is to people that don't smoke.

There is a simple solution for you QUIT smoking or stop complaining.
    Anonymous

• Of all the BANS , still no one is telling you that you must STOP smoking, just WHERE.

Why anyone would complain that they cannot smoke with their KIDS in the car is beyond me.

I personally don't feel badly. Smoking is a CHOICE- you don't HAVE to do it. You CHOOSE to smoke, you smoke where you are allowed. We all NEED to breath. I personally like being able to breath when I go into a bar or restaurant, and I am glad my state has bans.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:58 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Saying that other things cause health problems and pollution doesn't change the fact that smoking does too. 2 wrongs don't make a right. That's like saying you're already deaf so you might as well burn your eyes and be blind too. I'm not happy with all the things that cause pollution and health problems. But smoking has a very frequent and immediate affect on so many people cause it smells so strong and so many people have resiratory issues. So no, the selfish, unnecessary, unhealthy, and polluting act of smoking is not a right. It's a choice but that choice should at least be regulated to be kept away from those who don't want to be around it. In this case, their rights come before your habit.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• Honestly....I am a smoker and I am quite alright with having to smoke outside in designated areas.

It's my choice to smoke. I don't want people to smoke around my kids, I don't smoke anywhere near them so why should it be ok for us to smoke anywhere we please?

I am interested to see these studies that counter the ones that say smoking is bad for us. Do you have any links?

I think it's not so much about taking away our rights as it is about protecting the health and well being of ALL people. Plus it is motivation to quit.

Even as a smoker, I don't like being around smoke unless I'm having one. I personally, am fine with the laws.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 12:02 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My dear, this is not a war between smokers and nons. You are right that the world is filled with things we all hate but we can't legislate everything. You have the right to make your own choices but you also have to live with other people. The day will come when you will need to take a good look at the self destructive choices you are making and tell the truth. It is one thing to not care about your own health and another thing entirely to not care about anyone elses. If you've ever watched anyone die from cancer or heart disease you will know first hand the pain and desperation and fear that they go through. Smoking kills ten times more people in America than AIDS does but you wouldn't think of having unprotected sex with a stranger. Smoking is not something to be proud of in this day and age. I find it astonishing that many of use still don't even have the mental capacity to learn from the fatal mistakes of others.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 12:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• hey, we've been fighting for years for clean air....we're finally saying enough is enough !!!!
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• No one's stopping you from smoking, just from trying to kill me with your second hand smoke. You get the benefit of a filter if you choose.
    Your poor choice takes away my right to be healthy and make choices about what goes into my body.

and personally, if you can afford five bucks a pack I don't think you need help with housing anyway, or you need your priorities rearranged.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:13 AM on Jul. 18, 2010