Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I tell if a burn requires medical treatment?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

Answers (6)
  • i think if the skin is brunt or melted off

    Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:45 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • how deep does it look? is it getting better or not better? does it look like staph infection has started? lower extremities burns my not get as good a circulations as may need some wound care~

    Answer by surfcitymom at 11:48 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • when skin is GONE
    when skin is BLACKENED
    when it's deep, like obvious indentation into the area

    larger than 3 inches in diameter

    if it gets infected (red, hot to the touch, puss, fever/chills etc)


    Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • considering the risk for infection......get it checked....if it looks deep, if your skin has blisters,pus,red streaks....extreme pain!
    if it covers a large part of you body or any part of your face....smoke inhalation.

    Answer by michaux at 11:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

  • Extreme pain, or no pain- that could mean third degree burns. I poured boiling water on my hand a few years ago (never try to steam veneer off a table at 11 o'clock at night lol) and had to go to the ER. It blistered fast, and my hand first turned red and went a little numb, then began to feel like the whole hand was on fire, even moving it hurt. If it's a large burn (say, larger than your pinky at most) it should be looked at because of the amount of tissue injured. Also it is important to know how to treat burns, both before you make it to the doctor and after they have looked at it to prevent further damage and infection.

    Answer by preacherskid at 12:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

  • I ask parents to call the doc if their child gets burned and it blisters. Generally, blisters indicate a second degree burn. Accidents do happen, but I like to have these accidents documented in the medical record. AND many docs will treat the blisters with silvadene cream just to prevent infection, depending on where on the body the burn occurred.

    Answer by kjrn79 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.