social anxiety disorder?

I really think i have it...i am a college student and if i have a presentation I will have it prepared and everything but the day its time for me to present...I wont show up for class. or when I do show up my voice is so shaky and I feel like thts all people are listening to plus my hands are shaking like crazy, I lose my train of thought, I talk really fast. And when I meet a guy and he takes me to meet his family If its family function with everyone my heart will be racing and I just feel like everyone is staring at me...in ANY function where there is alot of people...THIS IS REALLY EFFECTING MY LIFE...what should I do? I really want to change...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 17, 2010 in Health

• Can't you go to the Dr and get a scrip for Xanax or something?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• The old trick of picturing everyone in their underwear probably wouldn;t help, huh? Maybe talk to a doc, it it's going to affect your life.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• GO TO SEE A DR ON GET ON MEDS FOR IT BECOUSE I HAVE IT REALLY BAD ! NEED TO GET MEDS OR U GET WORSE ANT NO LIE !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 12:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I personally think it's a sort of "stage fright". I have social anxiety disorder and I can't go ANYWHERE public because I just can't be around people I don't know. I am a very big people person if I know them but if not then I avoid it like the plague. I would seek a doctors advice. Maybe they can help. I had the same problem you have when I was younger and my doctor said it was normal, that some people are just shy. Maybe you have some form of it, but I think it's more nerves than anything. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 12:02 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm not sure that is actual social anxiety disorder, sounds more like public speaking phobia.

I have severe social anxiety disorder. I DO NOT go to new places. I DO NOT talk to anyone when I do go out. I have 4 stores I go to and I HAVE to go to the same cashier at each, a new cashier is too much for me. I don't even go out to eat, only take out.

There are meds that can help, you need to see a psychiatrist.
    My problem is I have a panic attack just trying to call to get in to see one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Mind over matter, just try to not dwell on it..that will only make it worse. Try going places and focus on just relaxing and not feeling paranoid like people are staring at you, maybe your just really cute looking lol. Otherwise, you will have to get on some type of meds. and honestly, if it helps you to be able to live a better life and to be able to go places and do things without feeling the way you do then..what ever works right?
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 12:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2010