any adivice to ease my congested 3 week old

i have a 2 year old and a 3 week old who are both congested. i dont know what to do for my 3 week old. any tips? herbal suggestions are much appreciated:0)

alleaeon

Asked by alleaeon at 2:29 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i recommend at least a humidifier. they have them at walmart for i think $15. they work well and everytime my daughter is starting to get s stuffy nose i turn it on for a few nights and it always clears it up.

Anonymous

• but make sure you get one that is the right size for the room. if its too small it will not work right. and put it close to there bed but not pointing directly on them
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree a humidifier will help loosen things up
    Other things to try:
    Saline drops in the nose
    Suction with bulb syringe (use saline drops before to loosen things up)
    Upright position... so bouncy seat, swing, being held... and at bed time raise the head of the matress in her crib by putting a pillow under it or if it's a bassisnet something like a towel
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• if you talk to your doctor they will say that a baby that young is not suppossed to be sick, you need to keep the 2 year old away from the 3 week old
    Anonymous

• AmiJanell is totally right. Just please watch that the baby does not get a fever. A baby under 8 wks must be hospitalized if they get a temp over 100.4 rectal b/c a baby that young doesn't get an infection like you and me, their whole body gets infected. It happened to my son at seven weeks and even though he was only 5 days from being 8 weeks old he had to be hospitalized for a mandatory 2 days. He had to have a spinal tap to make sure it wasn't menangitis and it did turn out that he had a curable kidney problem called OMega Ureter.
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• you can make saline drops at home and they help TREMENDOUSLY!!! You just mix 1/4 tsp table salt with 1/2 cup warm water, and use a dropper to drop 2-3 drops into each nostril, and then you can use a bulb syringe to suck them out. Also, try to not lay the baby flat on his/her back, keep them tilted, and buy a vaporizer or humidifier.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 1:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008