hiv

my son's father was diagonsed with hiv
for the last 2 years he has been around 1 to 2 times a week makes the football games and has even picked him up fom school,
which i feel he should....
the promblem is he split and we didn't hear fom him for a year
and although he has a job
i recieved no child support
and he lives in an inn town suite(hotel)

my boy love him

what do i do
would you allow him in your childs life?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Relationships

• Why not? You can't get HIV from a hug, or a ride from football practice. If he's an unreliable father who will break your son's heart over and over, that's another story, but if the fact that he has HIV is the biggest problem you're having, then yes. I would allow him into my child's life.
    BigMommaJesca

Answer by BigMommaJesca at 2:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Let me put it this way... Him being HIV positive or living in a hotel wouldn't stop me from letting him see his son. He needs to be a steady figure, not sporadic. When was he diagnosed? Could that have been the reason he changed his visiting m.o.? It's not uncommon for people who are diagnosed with a serious disease to go through stages of depression and withdrawal...might that be the case here?
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Your son needs to know his father. Be age appropiate honest. Let your son know that his father does love him, but he has some serious issues that he has to deal with. But that never gets in the way his father feels for his son. Just keep reassuring your son the love that he needs from his father. There maybe a day be shown physically.
    T_Knight

Answer by T_Knight at 4:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008