What would you do about this?

My oldest (7) has been in Tae Kwon Do since late October. He is an orange belt, currently working on getting his green belt. They kept telling us how good he was and such... yet, there was a tournament today that we didn't know about! And it's not that it was for upper belts, because a boy that is yellow belt was there (yellow is below orange). I saw pictures from it.

Now this upsets me.. is my son not good enough for tournaments that they couldn't even tell us about it? We didn't miss any classes last week, so it's not like they couldn't tell us about it at all.

What would you do? Would you say something at the next class, or would you just forget about it? My son LOVES tae kwon do.. his goal is to get the highest degree black belt. He talks about wanting to win trophies. When he finds out that "other boy" got 2 trophies, he's going to be crushed that he didn't get to go.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? :(

HeatherReneeB

Asked by HeatherReneeB at 12:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• did you check the flyers on the wall and such? I'm sure it was mentioned to your son, maybe he's not telling you everything, kids are forgetful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Talk to the instructor and find out what happened. Maybe it was all a miscommunication or something. It does seem odd but who knows?
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 12:34 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• nope.. no notes on the walls. And I sit there and watch the classes, so it's not like they couldn't say anything to me. And believe me, if they had told him, he wouldn't have forgotten. Not just because he's got OCD, but because he LOVES this. He reminds me all week about testings and such coming up. so he would have said something about the tournament if they had mentioned it to him.
    HeatherReneeB

Comment by HeatherReneeB (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• maybe casually mention it to instructor, see what they say. Could be a simple misunderstanding.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• When my son was in Tae Kwon Do, they had tournament all the time, however, the tournaments where only open to the Demo group. Anybody could apply to the demo group by audition- no matter if they were yellow, orange, etc belt. Could this be the case? I would ask the owner about the tournament and let him know that your son would be interested in participating in the next one.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:45 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Talk to the instructor and find out what needs done for him to have a chance in the next one.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I agree with talking to the instructor to find out what needs to be done for him to have a chance in the next one. As for this one? It is what it is, no sense in being upset about it.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I was in TKD. I never did tournaments. The school put up fliers once in awhile, but usually the ones I heard the guys talking about were ones I had never heard of or saw fliers for. Basically, if we wanted to participate in tournaments, we had to find out about them ourselves. Maybe you just need to look around online or to speak up and ask if they know of any. Or maybe you're just in a school that will tell you your child is good to keep increasing his belt (and the $ they get), even if he truly isn't good enough.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 4:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I think you should discuss it with your instructor to find out why your child was excluded.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• You should talk to the Sensai. At our karate center (we take Isshyn Ryu) he has everything posted on a board.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2010