so my health insurance won't cover infertility, but will it cove pcos, or will they automatically consider it infertility? I would like to get treated so I could conceive my 2nd baby, I think I might have PCOS and would like my insurance to cover some test I guess ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• PCOS isn't just infertility, it's a hormonal inbalance, causes insulin resistance, obesity, and more. And those are covered as far as I know, so the whole syndrome should be covered.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• as darkfaery said, PCOS really isnt based in infertility, and untreated can lead to much bigger issues. its covered I am sure.
    good luck honey ~*baby dust*~*~*
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:46 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Should be covered.
    Bookwormy

Answer by Bookwormy at 12:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• If life was fair, all insurance companies would cover infertility because it is a verifiable medical problem. I have endometriosis, and insurance may or may not cover surgery to restore health. I just wanted some hormonal medication to get me in the right balance (since hormonal imbalance is common with endo), but they wouldn't cover it. You should check into it. There are a lot of reasons besides infertility that it should be covered. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:07 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• It all depends on how your doctor writes it up when they bill the insurance company. When they bill they have to enter what is called an ICD 9 code. This code is for the diagnosis. If your doctor bills it with infertility as the diagnosis code then the insurance won't cover it. Find out what other diagnosis can be treated and see if any of them apply to you, then ask your doctor to bill it that way.

When my husband had sleep apnea he had a surgery to correct it even though most insurance companies won't pay for it. He got around it because he also had chronic sinusitis which his doctor used as the primary diagnosis.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:37 AM on Jul. 18, 2010