how do i get baby on a schedule in a nocturnal family?

my husband works third shift and i'm naturally a night owl. right now i'm up very odd, irregular hours depending on my work schedule, but once the baby comes in november, i'll be staying home with him. i know in the very beginning, it won't matter much because babies sleep so much and don't notice day and night, but i'm afraid i'll be unable to help reverting back to my fully nocturnal ways once i'm not working, and i worry that once he gets a bit older, we'll have problems getting him on a semi-normal schedule. anybody have any tips?

egregiousgirl

Asked by egregiousgirl at 1:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you plan on sending him to public school?
    If you do, then you should probably change your habits for the benefit of your child.
    If you plan on homeschooling than it does not matter when the child sleeps, as long as the child gets enough sleep. And he will adapt to your sleeping schedule as long as it is regular.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:08 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• My kids are very much on a nocturnal schedule... You won't have to worry about school for YEARS, so don't. It will come naturally since that's the schedule you live on. My kids go down between 11-12 and are up around 10-11... If that's the schedule you live on, so will they, don't worry about it. When it does come time, the transition takes a few days, but is easily done. When my DH's schedule flips back to days, so does our sleep... It's really not hard at all. Just wake him up so that he'll be tired to go to bed at night... I change things 1 hour at a time - 1 each day/night...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Whatever schedule you want him to be on when he starts school, I would go ahead and start him on that from birth. It's just so much easier than having to change things around. Some babies do recognize day/night - my 1 week old already sleeps 6 1/2 hours at night, and takes her shorter naps during the day. All 4 of my older kids slept through the night at 2 months.
    Also, even before school starts when they start having playdates/sleepover/parties with preschool friends, they will need to be on at least a similar schedule to the one their friends are on to be able to coordinate times.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Jul. 18, 2010