crying it out

when is it a good age to start letting your child cry it out

sayla23

Asked by sayla23 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• When my daughter reached 6 1/2 months she wouldn't at all let me rack her to sleep with out throwing the biggest fit. i could barely hold her. so ever since then i let her cry it out.

I've tried it when she was younger (3,4 and 5 months) and i just couldn't do it. i didn't feel like it was time yet. and i felt so bad hearing her cry. :( But now she'll cry for 5 minutes IF that.. so i know it was the best time for her to start "crying it out"

Go with what you think. i've heard of a lot of parents doing it at 3 and 4 months.
    Just depends on your preference. :)
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i would say no sooner than six months. it depends on why she is crying though even at that age.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the 6 month stipulation. If it is for a good reason they are crying I would not let them just cry it out though. If they are crying because they didnt get their way I say let them ball their eyes out until the cows come home.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:47 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I think it all depends on the baby but in general about 6 months. Before then the baby needs to be reassured that it can trust you to come for whatever reson when it cries. Our son was stubborn and strongwilled even from birth and we didn't always feel like dealing with his tantrums but we did it anyway till he was 6 mos. The day he turned 6 mos we started the ferber method. The first night he cried for 2 HOURS!! That almost killed me. But the 2nd night he only cried for 15 mins and the 3rd night for 2-3 mins. From then on until he was about 18 mos he wouldn't go to sleep without crying himself out for a few mins. Our Ped said lots of babies like to cry it out. It helps them to settle down and I'll tell ya from ten on he slept like a dream!! All night for 10-12 hours and 2 naps a day!
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• As long as his/her needs are met, it's fine after 6mo. Some kids need to cry to get the frustration out. They can't do everything that they want to or don't know how to do everything and that can be pretty frustrating. It can really pile up by bed time and sometimes the only way to help them is to let them cry it out. It's hard but sometimes there is nothing you can do. Not every kid needs to cry it out though. CIO doesn't work for every baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• If you are breastfeeding, you baby might need to nurse 1 or 2 times during the night up until the age of 9 months. You know your baby, best, though. If he is waking up and eating ravenously, he may truly be hungry and you should respond to him. However, if you pick him up and he falls right back to sleep, he is probably ready to handle crying it out. Just remember to be consistent. If you are going to let your baby cry it out, you have to be committed to it. It is generally the fastest way to sleep train a baby, but you have to do what is comfortable for you and your baby.
    Lovemy2girlsKK

Answer by Lovemy2girlsKK at 11:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2008