For the army wives out there?

So ladies, we all know your men are gone more then they are there, and for good reason...but does it feel like you are in a relationship at all?
I can't even begin to imagine how you ladies feel/cope...but you must feel like a single parent, lonely etc...and not able to do anything about it.
Sorry if it sounds mean or bad, I really am just curious.

xoxticiaxox

Asked by xoxticiaxox at 1:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm not a military wife, but my DH has been working in other states since 2009. He's home off and on, it sucks! I feel very much like a single mom. But at least I don't have to worry about my DH being killed, I can't even imagine being a military wife and won't even begin to say I'm in the same position.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:45 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Well my husband is Navy, but he's deployed with the Army. I can't speak for all military wives, but I don't feel like a single parent. It's hard without him here, I'm worried sick about him every day, but when it comes to our children, I keep him as informed as possible about them. We email each other every day and he occasionally gets to call. It may be easier for me to cope because I'm prior military and I understand how it works. It's not easy, but our love is strong enough to get through it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I am an Army wife, and I don't feel like I am a single parent. I don't feel like our relationship is lacking anything either. Well, besides sex anyway lol. Being a military wife makes you stronger, and if you truly work at it it can make your relationship with your husband better and I think we love each other more deeply because we really appreciate the time we get together way more. It is very hard to have him gone for months or a year at a time, it was devastating to give birth to our daughter without him, but I am a stronger wife and mother for it. We IM as often as we can, which because of his job is thankfully most every day, and I send him a ton of pictures and videos. We also use skype or yahoo video to do video calls so that he can talk to our daughter so she can still see him and hear his voice. If you truly love your spouse, you can make it work without doing damage to your bond.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm a Navy wife, not an Army wife, but no, I do not feel like a single parent. We actually have a saying about this: "Just because he's gone DOES NOT mean i'm single!." I'm a SAHM so i'm used to taking care of the kids on my own while he's at work, and luckily the Navy has such a thing called Shore Duty, which is what my husband is currently on, and he's non-deployable for the next 2 years (been home a year straight already!), and his deployments aren't nearly as long as the Army's.

There are many ways to keep in good contact thanks in large part by advancing technology these days. My favorite thing to do is to record him reading bedtime stories and playing them for the kids at night, so we're all still together at that time...even if he's not physically there. It's a very special bonding time in our family. But again, no, I never feel like a single mom. Just a regular mom with a husband serving our country.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:57 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• I'm a Navy wife and no i don't feel like a single parent because I know that once the deployment is over he will be home.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 4:32 AM on Jul. 18, 2010

• Just as a heads up milfalicious, just because he is on shore duty does NOT mean he is non-deployable. My husband is technically on shore duty. He's on an IA tour in Afghanistan right now that he was volun-TOLD to do. He'll be there for a year. I would take sea duty over that any day.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2010

• actuallyno. our relationship was at its best when he was deployed simply becuase e was more open. when he came home (like 6 months after) he decided it wasnt what he wanted,, and walked away.
    pookah1203

Answer by pookah1203 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 19, 2010